Find
Notify
Tools

Treebone carving buttplate
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
Are these an exact replica of the pre-64 plate?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.as...le=CLASSIC+BUTTPLATE

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Don't know about exact, but the ones I have seen are awful close. I'd have a hard time telling them apart if it weren't for the fact the original pre-64 ones I have were worn.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I have a crappy band saw and I'm going into town tommorrow so I thought I'd have a guy make the cut for a pre-64 plate for me. I have a old Win plate but it too is worn so I will order one of these.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The trebone butt plates are a damn poor replacement. They are investment cast and done very poorly at that. The diamonds in the checkering are not very sharp and the things show cast lines. Find an original Winchester pad and use that.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight Jim. I'll put a big red X on those!

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And as well, the pre64 model 94,s had a flat checkered steel buttplate,rather than the half moon style .

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of the replacement ones I have seen are a little disappointing. I ordered a Mauser logo buttplate that was very obviously molded from a well-worn original buttplate. I guess it would fit in on an older looking rifle - but really how hard can it be to find one in nice shape for your mold, or to clean up your original casting and remold?

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by van:
And as well, the pre64 model 94,s had a flat checkered steel buttplate,rather than the half moon style .

That is not correct. It all depends on which variant of the 94 you are looking at. I have 3 completely origional pre-64 94's (30/30, 32 Win Spc, and 38/55) and easch has a different style buttplate. The 30/30 has a carbine type plate with the tang on top, the 32 has teh shotgun style with slight curve, and the 38/55 had a true crescent. My Dad has 2 pre-64 94's and one a has a completely flat checkered steel and the other has a plastic buttplate.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I looked around for an original and couldn't find one that didn't have the hole off center in the bottom diamond or just rough in general. I bought a treebone, I'd say it's ok, not great, but better than the factory plates I was looking at. The bedding block on the treebone is a nice feature. I think I'll start looking at Beisen, does anybody know the dimensions of his plate?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey,

I don't have one, but the dimensions Roger gave me over the phone a while back are:

width - 1 9/16â€
length heel to toe - 5 1/8â€

cheers,
- stu

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote