Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time bore scope experience
 Login/Join

posted
I used a bore scope(buddy is a vet and used his scope that he uses in surgery, but I bet it is as good as a "bore scope"..LOL)for the first time the other day. It has its own light and hooks up to a TV monitor.

I looked at my 224TTH (22-6mm) and a 22-250 savage striker pistol.

The TTH has a montana riflesmiths brl on it in stainless. It has close to 500 rounds of 69gr MK at @ 3600fps and some 70gr X bullets at 3740fps and about 50-75 rounds were shot to find a load for gun. So it is in the 600 round area total. The gun had no visible wear in the throat area!!! It also showed no copper streaks. It looked like looking into the sky at night on a good clear night out in the country. There were lots of various copper stars just like the night sky.

The 22-250 had some of the same star like sparkles, PLUS several streaks of copper. I do not know the round count in this gun because I got it used.

Both guns are cleaned using hoppys wet patches, bronze brush(1 stroke per shot), wet patches, dry patches, wet patches, JB compound on patch over jag short stroked down brl and back, wet patches, dry patches. I use a proshot SS rod with boreguide.

What are your experiences on what you see in a bore with scope.

thanks
224TTH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen all kinds of things. The secret is to know what is important. Ed Shilen said he wished everybody had one and he could sell more barrels.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have had a Scope for quite a few years and have looked at a lot of barrels. I have checked barrels with a lot of tool marks in them that shot tight groups. Also I have looked at barrels without tool marks that shot poor groups. I have found two barrels with major defects in them that would never have shot well no matter what. One Remington and one Weatherby. The scope will tell you several things, such as how clean it is, how much fire cracking is in it, how good the Crown is.Unless you can see a major defect it is very hard to say how well it will shoot. Poor bedding, bad triggers, poor stock design. not cleaning correctly have more to do with a rifle prefroming poorly that tool marks in the barrel.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
I have seen all kinds of things. The secret is to know what is important. Ed Shilen said he wished everybody had one and he could sell more barrels.
Butch

One of Australia's main barrel makers says the same thing Big Grin

<Mike McGuire>
posted
quote:
Poor bedding, bad triggers, poor stock design. not cleaning correctly have more to do with a rifle prefroming poorly that tool marks in the barrel.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Three of the best barrels I have had were three 30 calibre 1 in 12 that I had chambered for 300 Winchester and they had very visible reamer marks. The barrel maker sold them a bit cheaper but not that much cheaper. Lots of other people apparentky knew they would be OK.

When looking down a barrel best to keep in mind the lands are about .004" high and that illustrates just how small the marks are in the barrel.