Find
Notify
Tools

Fireforming and barrel wear
 Login/Join

<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
On the subject of barrel wear, does fireforming using the reduced load/cream-of-wheat method have a measureable effect on barrel wear?

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Barrel wear is usually a function of two things, powder burning in the throat and the bullets' passage down the pore. By using cream of wheat or kapok or etc., there is no significant barrel wear. Just make sure that you clean the barrel. Cream of Wheat contains an oil which leaves a significant mess in the barrel when combined with heat and powder residue. If I may suggest, try grits, yes grits, it doesn't seem to contain the same amount of oil therefore the residue is less.
Bill

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Barrel wear is usually a function of two things, powder burning in the throat and the bullets' passage down the bore. By using cream of wheat or kapok or etc., there is no significant barrel wear. Just make sure that you clean the barrel. Cream of Wheat contains an oil which leaves a significant mess in the barrel when combined with heat and powder residue. If I may suggest, try grits, yes grits, it doesn't seem to contain the same amount of oil therefore the residue is less.
Bill
I just re-read you question. I presumed that you were not using bullets, which is done. I have done it this way and it works, it's messy but it works. Another suggestion for using bullets is to try cast lead bullets. This is only if cast bullets are available in your caliber.
Bill

<JoeM>
posted
Well I will have to look into the cast lead thing. The whole deal is that the caliber I am thinking of getting (because it is a very good deal) has tradtitionally been badly overbore, and I do not want to waste any life.

------------------
Joe M

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Joe,
Let me know which cartridge you are thinking about. Maybe I can give you a hand.
Bill

<JoeM>
posted
Bill
I saw a nice deal on a 257 Wby Mag. Thinking I would try fireforming out of sized-down 7mm Rem Mag, if I get it, before trying Wby brass.

------------------
Joe M

<Don G>
posted
Joe,

From my experience on my 416 WinMag - fireforming necked up 375 H&H brass- the fireforming groups are as good as the groups after fireforming - averaging well under an inch with jacketed bullets. Case capacity limits the powder choices, but not badly.

I suspect you won't be able to tell the difference in your situation.

I started using lead bullets to save money, and they hold about two inches at 100 yards - plenty good for the offhand practice I badly need.

Don