Find
Notify
Tools

3 panel checkered bolt handle needed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
McFarland or equivalent. Brownell's has been out of stock for some time now.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That's too bad, Brownell's would have been my recommendation.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charity Littleton. boltcheckering.com

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Metal. Sent Charity an email yesterday. No reply yet.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks again metal. Talked to Charity today.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You’re welcome.

Posts: 640 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Although the jury is still out on my overall opinion of the internet I must confess that finding things in general + specifics like this service sure beats the way I used to have to hunt through all my catalogs trying to find a specific part or service. I hope you found what you want Ray.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Although the jury is still out on my overall opinion of the internet I must confess that finding things in general + specifics like this service sure beats the way I used to have to hunt through all my catalogs trying to find a specific part or service. I hope you found what you want Ray.

The great thing about the internet is that everyone gets their say and the worst thing about the internet is that everyone gets their say.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
McFarland or equivalent. Brownell's has been out of stock for some time now.
Brownell's now panders to the 1911/AR crowd...guess that's where the money is...

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
No surprise there. They just bumped the back in stock estimate from October-ish to December-ish.
Settled on a 2 panel McFarland.
Thanks to all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being cheap out of necessity and an admitted bubba I once bought a checkering file and tried it for myself. By no means an easy task. I had trouble keeping the file straight, an consequently the lines strait.

Although I never went further with it, I thought of a simple tool design that might work.
If you make a frame that looks like an X to guide the file in, and put a hole in the bottom at the middle of the X for the bolt knob, you could control the file to cut the exact same all of the time, thereby making straight lines. You'd have to do some touch up near the border of your panel, but at least you'd get the bulk of the panel cut straight. You could make your X frame any degree that you wanted depending on what shape you wanted the diamonds to be.

Maybe some enterprising hobbyist might try it and see if it works.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Not worth the time due to the learning curve. Some things are best left to the pro.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Checkering knobs is not that hard to do. I explain how I have made my own bolts and checkered with tools made in my own shop.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
another try to add pic's on checkering ng knobs

one of us
posted Hide Post
After the spacing is started with a metal checkering I follow up using a 90 degree graver tool and the Ngraver tool to finish the lines to the edge of the pattern. I take a little time to learn to finish the spacer lines to the edge and not run over.

one of us
posted Hide Post
templates formed to fit bolt knob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les

That second photo looks pretty much like what I was doing when I made a go of it. I notice that you have your angle lines penned in there to follow. But I just could not get that file to go straight. So again, if there was a trough of sorts on top of the bolt, just the exact width of the checkering file so that the file could only go one way, then the lines would be straight, and you could even tip the file to get close to the edge.

I am probably not saying it right, but what I am saying is that there needs to be some sort of a guide there to keep the file straight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to learn to eye ball the lines and file edge before trying to cut. After the very light spacing with the file you need to engrave the lines just like checkering on wood. I understand some people use the carbide wood checkering spacer to do this type of work, but I don't like to have steel chips coming back into my face.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beginner is wise to keep his panels on the small side.

Lay out the pattern as much as possible with a checkering file..at some point, you just have to use engraving tools to get up next to the border.

Some have used an electric checkering tool as Less mentioned...I tried it, found it was not for me

Posts: 3610 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope some of you will try my methods as it is based upon making most of your tools to engrave. The basic of cutting metal is to have a sharpener that you can control the engraving tools angles which are critical in keeping the tool to run straight. All of this info in written upon my DVD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's where I failed. I didn't use any engraving tools. Just the checkering file.