New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel re-profiling?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellows: I have a newer M70 in .375 that does not balance well and is just too barrel-heavy. Can anyone recommend a smith who can change/cut down the contour and shorten it? I do realize there is some risk involved in the accuracy department, but....PM's are fine, too. Thanks so much, Arthur Olds

Posts: 201 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago purchased a used long range match rifle w/ Krieger barrel that was far larger in diameter than I preferred and asked 'smith at that time about doing what you are asking and was told it could be done, but he did not advise doing it. He agreed to do it and it worked out fine, but after it was done, did shoot to different zero, not much, but different. As in my case, if the work is done carefully by quality 'smith, should work ok, but there are differing opinions on such projects.

martin

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not add some weight to the butt and change the balance point. A lot cheaper and faster.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If the barrel is on the heavy side, say a #5-like contour, it's not usually a problem especially when alos on the shorter side. But light contours can be problematic. Just this week I had one a customer wanted lighter, but when I put it between centers on the lathe it was just not straight enough to cut down. It had over .050" runout in the middle so I left it alone.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
why not flute it???

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no problem just make sure you do it slow with lots of coolant. you may have some stock work to do after

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis Olson can do it.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote