Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 WSSM actions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted
Are there any physical differences between the .223 .243 and .25 WSSM actions or components?

Stated more clearly...can a .223 or .243 be simply rebarreled to a .25 WSSM? Or, would there need to be any alterations to the follower, box, rails, ramp etc?

Thanks in advance.

JC

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly all three you mentioned are the same case just necked to different calibers. I've not handled all the WSSM's but if that is in fact the case then you are looking at a simple re-barrel with no magazine or feed work required. You might contact a re-boring shop if you like the existing contour rather than a re-barrel.
Good luck with yours.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
Hey Snell,

Thanks for the input.

I already own a .25 WSSM and was considering having Hart rebarrel it for me. However, my gun is in 100% condition and is the most prefered configuration, (SS Featherweight with upgraded wood). Accordingly, I can't see busting it up to customize it when I can buy a brand new WSSM in a different configuration for less than 1/2 of what my model is selling for and have that rebarelled to .25 WSSM.

My thought is to buy a .223 or .243, have Hart rebarrel and teflon coat it and then have it restocked in a Hi Tech stock.

Any additional input on the technical aspects of such a project would be appreciated.

JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
JC

How has your Rifle performed. I have the Featherweight model in the .223 WSSM but have only shot it 2 or 3 times just to make sure it works.

Has yours performed well for you? How is the .25 WSM. Is it comparable to the 25-06?
Have you used it for deer at all.

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the exclusion of differing case mouth dimensions the only differences between the 25 WSSM and its older siblings is a 30 degree shoulder angle and a slightly shorter body.

Snell,

After reading your reply I looked a little deeper into the exact specifications of the cases. It seems the .223 and .243 are in fact virtually identical with the exception of the neck size. However, as stated above, in addition to the neck size being different in the .25 the shoulder is 30 degrees, (as oppsed to 40 degrees in the others?), and therefore the body is slight shorter in the .25 as well.

Any ideas if Winchester would have made andy mior alterations to the .25 WWSM actions to reflect that minor cartridge change?

JC

One of Us
Picture of Jcchartboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
JC

How has your Rifle performed. I have the Featherweight model in the .223 WSSM but have only shot it 2 or 3 times just to make sure it works.

Has yours performed well for you? How is the .25 WSM. Is it comparable to the 25-06?
Have you used it for deer at all.

It shoots right around MOA with the only ammo I have shot through it, which is the cheap 120gr PEP's.

I do most of my traveling whitetail hunting with my Jarrett .280 AI, or locally with one of my bolt action rifled slug guns or smokeless muzzleoders. So I have not taken any whitetails with it yet.

My thought is to put together a nice lightweight .25 WSSM with 24" barrrel to shoot 120gr accubonds for general whitetail use. It would be a nice rifle for carrying in the Catskill Mountains myself where I regular walk several miles a day, and also a great gun for girlfriend who hunts with me as well.

JC

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Your just looking at a re-barrel or re-bore job, I can't see it needing any feed work if it feeds already.
Shoot something with that .25!
I have been shooting all my Deer, Antelope and Coyotes with a .257 Roberts for the last 3 years and am very impressed with the 117 Sierra SPBT going about 2825 fps. Yours should put it out a bit faster. A buddy of mine (gunsmith) has put together a few .25's on the .300 WSM case called the 25 Duster or something, what a smokin hot machine that is.
Good luck with your project.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how that .25 WSSM bumped out to .277 would be?

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:

Or in 6.5/.264"?
Of course all of these (.264, .277) and the .25 are re-invention of some things we already have just in a different wrapper!

One of Us
Picture of Big Earl
posted Hide Post
quote:

Stop wondering, it will make your head swim. I bumped one out to .358 and have taken almost a dozen deer with it in Indiana.

Posts: 364 | Location: Sticks, Indiana | Registered: 03 July 2007Reply With Quote