Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 or 6.5 Rem Mag
 Login/Join

posted
Which one of these is best suited for a short action Remington. Will seating depth be a problem. Would I be better off going with a 260Rem. Or a 260AI?

Posts: 41 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 30 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be nice to be able to seat the bullets out farther in the 6.5-284 or the 6.5 Rem Mag. If you can settle on a little less velocity, the 260 is a fine cartridge. The other consideration is brass. It's easier to get brass for the 6.5/284 than the 6.5 Remington.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can open up the Remington receiver a little, enough to allow 3.1" COL, and with that work done the 6.5 Rem Maaag will give you the highest velocities (all else being equal). We're not talking huge differences here though. 6.5 Rem Mag brass is no longer in production, at least at this moment. Of course, I can remember when 284 brass was damn hard to find too, so take it for what it's worth. It is not hard to make though, you can use any belted mag brass based on the original H & H case dimensions. As an aside, the 6.5 Rem Mag is a very good cartridge, very under rated by the shooting press. At reasonable ranges, it will do anything the 270 will do. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my barreled 6.5 Remington Magnum from MRC. I have a chepo "temporary" stock coming and I should be up and shooting in the next 2-3 months.

Here is a picture:

-

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that a Mexican Mauser?

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
MC:
quote:
Is that a Mexican Mauser?
[Confused] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess it's a model 70, the picture is blurry and shaded.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's an MRC (Montana Rifle Company) MC. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So how much does one of these MRC actions cost?

posted Hide Post
How well will the 6.5x55 work in a short action remington

one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid 350 for the action and ~350 to get it barreled. Here are some "better" pictures:

-

-

These are the best I can get with the older digital camera I have.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found new brass on ebay quite often. It usually goes for 55.00/100.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As much character as the 6.5 Mag has, you should run (not walk) to the 6.5x284. It is just inherently more accurate than the belted case due to headspacing. Don't buy into the headspace on the shoulder system. It wasn't designed to do this, and to insure it happens, you have to leave a section of thin case wall exposed in front of the belt. The 6.5x284 is one of the best developed of the long range target rounds right now and really quality brass is available from several sources including Norma and (if I remember correctly) Hornady and Lapua. Getting a quality chamber and quality prepped brass will be much easier.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote