New
Find
Notify
Tools

H&K model 630???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I already posted this in small bore but here you go any way. I'm interested in one of these for varmint calling and wonder if anyone has experience with these rifles. From what I understand they are a sporter type rifle chambered in .223 that are somewhat accurate. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated, reliability?, availability?, where I might find one? what they are worth?--Thank You--JM.

Posts: 60 | Location: CA USA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had the 308 version of this rifle. It was very accurate and the H&K scope mount went back to zero every time. If I remember, the standard magazine holds 3 rounds, but 10 rounders are available.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Helidriver:

I have ulterior motives here, but I love HKs, so let me take a stab at this. I bought my first HK 630 in 1987 and have owned 3 or 4 since then. I presently own a very nice SL6, which is the paramilitary version of the 630.

The 630/SL6 uses HK's delayed roller-locked system. It is a marvel of engineering and manufacturing talent. The lock-up is ingenious and greatly enhances by not allowing the
bolt to cycle until the bullet has left the barrel. You get a locked up action during bullet travel in the bore like a bolt action, but you also get semi-auto function because after the bullet leaves the bore, the next round is cycled into battery.

All of the 630s I have owned were very accurate. I've never fired my SL6, but apparently accuracy is the same as with the 630. You'll have to try various factory loadings [or reload your own] to get the most accurate combination. But these rifles will routinely print 5 shot groups into 5/8" at 100 yards with good ammo and will shoot almost anything under an inch.

The 630/SL6 are not particularly light rifles. The trigger is decent for a semi-auto. The rifle uses a quick detach scope mounting system which is very robust and returns to "zero" with great repeatability. The mount is expensive---'bout $300.00, as I recall. Mags are available in 4 and 10 rounds. The barrels use polygonal rifling, which is more resistant to the barrel wear one tends to get in a semi-auto rifle and is also conducive to very good accuracy.

These rifles tend to be objects of devotion among some knowledgeable coyote hunters. HK actively marketed the gun too cowboys and cattlemen [if you can find an old HK magazine ad, you will see what I mean]. If you don't like the AR-15 look in a sporter rifle, the HK 630/SL6 gives you that sporter appearance in a highly accurate, German engineered and constructed semi-auto rifle.

If you are interested, my SL6 is for sale. I can e-mail you photos if you'd like to see what it looks like. The rifle is in almost mint condition. The metal is essentially perfect with no wear at the muzzle [a tiny scratch or two on the reciever] and the wood has a few handling marks which are barely visible. Let me know if you want pics.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the replys, Jordan I'm interested in the 630 as I am a coyote hunter in CA and I'm not willing to register an "ugly gun" so no thanks on the sl-6. One other ? are the sl-6 and 630 mags interchangable? Thanks--JM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan I sent you a PM.--JM.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Helidriver:

I am at work right now, so I can't get to your private e-mail message. FWIW, the SL6 does not have to be registered. It is not a prohibited firearm in Kalifornia. BTW, I live in Kalifornia too.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote