Find
Notify
Tools

stock styles still leave room for everyone
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I remember a time not too long ago when I thought classic stocks would end up killing off the monte carlo.

Thanks to the tactical movement, and the love of big scopes this doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon.

British rifles in the 1960-1980's often had monte carlo style stocks.

The American classic and the American safari classic style seem to emulate some British guns from the 1920s but with much less drop at the comb.

I am personally a thumbhole guy, not sure that I like their looks anymore than I like the classic, but the damn things work for my physiology. A lot of snobs would say they belong in the trailer park, but I like them. They work for me, damn the naysayers.

From my rather exhaustive studies on the subject I believe their are 3 stock styles:

1. Classic, anything that carries a straight line from behind the grip to the butt. The Ruger, Kimber and Dakota are examples of typical classics. The view of the sight is changed by raising the butt of the stock to meet the sight picture.

2. Monte carlo, anything that has a hump or built up area between that same grip to butt space. The Bavarian, California, Weatherby, Winslow and a whole host of others would be examples that are more extreme than a M700 BDL. The view of the sight is changed by adding material to the cheek piece.

3. Thumbholes and open top thumbholes or open bottom thumbholes (those for M700 chassis systems using a M16 style grip), anything that puts the hand in a vertical axis either by removing a hole in the wood or by dropping the grip and opening it up to achieve the same result.

Just my 2 cents, I'd love to hear your thoughts or if you have photos of stocks that are outside my rule of 3 I'd love to see them.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
I'll try and answer a little latter. Right now I need to get out of the trailor house and clean the front tag on my El Camino. Oh, it has a word on it the bugs got it all covered up...SNOB. Wink

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I guess I am just amazed at what the global market place has brought to the table in regards to keeping old stock styles from dying. I mean the monte-carlos were dying a slow death in the early 90's to be brought back to life by 50-72mm objective lenses and a new crowd of shooters who didn't grow up drinking the Beisen and Leonard Brownell coolaid.

I kind of like them all, hell I even like the Bavarian styled stocks on mild kicking rifles.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
new crowd of shooters who didn't grow up drinking the Beisen and Leonard Brownell coolaid.

Surely you jest the finest stock makers out there Just ask Jack.

Personally I like there stocks and have drunk the coolaid.

But if you want some thing other it is your money.

Posts: 19430 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote