New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have a real problem with my pistol
 Login/Join

<Matt77>
posted
I have a ruger super redhawk 454 casull. I got a bad bunch of primers from the gun shop today. 6 outta 10 didn't go off. The eleventh made a pop and the bullet got stuck in the forcing cone.
I should have known when I saw a primer flipped upside down in the package. there have been so many times that I have seen gun shop owners dump a pack of primers and pick them up by hand and put them back into packages. Either that, or a bad batch. CCI Mag small rifle.
What do I do to get the bullet unstuck???
Is my barrel ruined?
Thank You

one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, All I have ever done in that situation is use a wooden dowel and drive the bullet back out. It should not be very far in the barrel and the wooden dowel will not hurt anything. The next thing to do is throw out the box of primers. Smokey

Posts: 160 | Location: Whitehorse Yukon Canada | Registered: 20 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a similar experience and used a 3/8" dowel about a foot long and tapped it with a short piece of 2x4. A squirt with some wd-40, left overnight works wonders with lead bullets I might add.
FN

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
Matt, I routienly see primers flipped every which way, so I don't think seeing that one primer inverted means anything. More likely the cause was storage, either at the gun shop or at your home (were these primers used shortly after purchasing or did they set on the reloading bench a week or two?). I shoot the same primer in my FA .454 and have had no problems. You didn't by chance do anything to lighten the trigger pull on the revolver did you, such as replace the hammer/trigger spring? When Wilson did an action job on my Redhawk (not a super) he sent extra springs of increasing power. He told me if I experienced any misfires to replace the installed spring with the next heavier one until I got reliable ignition. Is there any chance your hammer spring has been dickered with? You might want to also check the lot number of the primers and contact CCI about how old they are. If the shop where you bought them had them on the shelf for a couple of years and the place was humid then it is entirely possible that they went sour on his shelf, and lucky you got fruits of his carelessness.

Removing the suck bullet, I like to use a solid 3/8 inch brass rod and give it a hard rap with a hammer. Brass won't hurt your barrel and by giving it a fairly hard rap you won't cause the bullet to peen out in the barrel sticking it even tighter.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Matt77:
CCI Mag small rifle.

The stock spring in the Super Redhawk is normally enough for rifle primers, as long as it is in good condition. However, if it's not, or the primers were seated lightly (seat CCI's hard for reliable ignition) they may very well behave like you describe.

You're not the first nor the last to stick a bullet in the forcing cone. There's a minimum of two guys doing this at every "Sillywet" match I go to. A clean brass or aluminum rod in combination with a hammer/piece of wood/BFR is the best solution.

-- Mats