Notify
Tools

your recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
going to this site I would like your opinion-

http://www.woodcraft.com/depts.aspx?DeptID=2081

it will be the first on my bench, assuredly need one now.
regards

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have more damned vices than I can fit on my bench...but to answer your question you need to specify what your primary use would be.

All of the ones shown are wood working vices, and would not be the best choice as an “all around†vice where you might want to forge a bolt handle or grip a barrel vice to remove a barrel.

If your primary purpose is holding stocks then I would suggest the pattern makers vice, I have two of them and they are very handy for holding irregular shaped work without marring it.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suspect my needs is to hold either a stock to do bedding or barreled action for small jobs.

I do not need to have that many vises but I can see where like the rest of my stuff, accumulations is common behaviorSmiler need to make more room in my area of the home-wife told me to make a shop-mmmmh.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
suspect my needs is to hold either a stock to do bedding or barreled action for small jobs.

For this and from your choices I would go with the PatternMakers.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote