New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help with front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to replace the brass bead on my sedgley with a fiber optic bead. Any ideas how to do this, who could make one, or ?

Posts: 1102 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I would take a tall FireSight or TruGlo, clamp it in soft jaws in the mill, put in a carbide end mill, crank it to 1500 RPM, whittle the base down to the thickness of the slot, slide it in, drill the hole, put in the rivet, charge you $130, pat you on the head and send you on your merry-little-way. But that's just me making long sentences again.

coffee

OH WAIT A MINUTE ! I've done that before.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or you could buy the sight and a file have at and save the money.

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was thinking along this line, just wondering if there was some product out there I hadn't run across yet. Now, to remove the existing blade without ending up with a mess that cost double to have fixed Mad have looked for instructions but not found anything. Like which direction does the pin or rivet come out? What is the function of the screw? will I be able to use the same pin , or need a new one, any thing else I haven't thought of? My dedication to the right to screw it up the firs time is in direct conflict with my desire to just pay for a job well done Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There could be an unforeseen here. There is a remote chance that the screw could be an upity/downity adjustment screw. Or it could just be a locating screw used during the soldering process. Or it could be the soul thing responsible for holding the sight on. First thing to do is back the screw off and try to determine the type of voodoo, that it do doo.

If it has nothing to do with adjustment then the pin should drive out either way. After driving out the pin the sight should just pull out. It could be jammed in pretty snug so you might have to lightly traumatize it with a plastic hammer to get it free.

Using the mill is just easier, faster and more EGG-ZACKERY. That's just the way I would go it. The file is certainty an option too. You can't send it to me because I'm in Canada. But dpcd is probably mighty handy at chewing aluminum in his mill, if you get a case of the chickens.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I have a good quantity of inserts for that sight if you need some to practice on...

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You see Duane, that's why both of us are destined to starve and work ourselves to death in the private sector.

Now if we were politically correct S.O.B.s and had bureaucratic potential, we would have described it as a "laterally actuated soft impacting device" or a "vertically actuated soft impacting device." Both devices look the same, feel the same, weigh the same and are identical in ever respect except that one costs $500 more than the other.

But then again, if we did have the bureaucratic gene we would be boring, unable to find our ass with both hands and would probably be dwindling away our days making a measly $60,000 a year, pissing off honest, hard working people standing in our queue's at the DMV

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I routinely replace those base metal beads with real gold ones. File the old bead off, solder on a small piece of gold, use Swiss files to shape into the diameter you want. Easy-peasy, lemon sqeezy. You can get a tiny piece of gold from your friendly local jeweler for next to nothing. I use chunks cut out of my old wedding band. (Finally a legitimate use for that miserable thing.) Advantages over the "gold" base metal beads: real gold won't tarnish and provides a nice luster that shows up well in all light conditions- better than factory beads- and saves me from putting a garish glow worm sight on a classic rifle. That Sedgley deserves to be treated kindly.

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You experts correct me if Im wrong but I don't think that barrel band sight is original on that Sedgely rifle..I have seen a number of them in my day and owned a few, all of which had soldered on sights that matched the Sedgley blue, in which case Id opt to toss that one and replace it with a NECG custom ramp and proper height bead or a NECG barrel band sight with bead.?????? It would be pretty eash to remove and replace the bead that's on it, I think you can still buy those type beads from Lyman or Redfield, if not make one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have orderd the NECG universal front sight. My eyes really need the fiber optic bead. And yes I think the ramp is not original. As a DIY, just replacing the blade is all I want to attempt unless somebody can tell me that replacing the ramp can be a try this at home project.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Eny,

Do you have a set of feeler gauges? They look like this:

If you do it looks like you have enough room to measure the slot width here:

If your new blade is too fat you'll know how much needs to go, or you can just make a file swipe or two and keep trying until it fits.

Far as what that screw behind the blade does, I bet Jim Wisner will know (member j wisner here), send him a PM asking his opinion and I'm sure he'll show up and educate everyone.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote