New
Find
Notify
Tools

action modfication chart?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there a chart somewhere that would show those calibers that an action could handle without modification for us that are not as knowledgeable as some of you.

EX: I have my vz24 action in 3006 and I am considering building a new rifle in a different caliber from the action.

Thanks,

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any "published" chart, but generally speaking an action used for the 30/06 will work for any round base off the 06 and or the 8x57. Any easy chart to refence is a shell holder chart- if the cartridge uses the same shell holder as the 06, then the bolt face is correct. Then look in a reloading manual for the OAL of the 06 and then probably the 6MM Rem, anything in between should function through the magazine without problems. If the cartridge is within the same oal, but uses a different shell holder, but the rim diameter fall between .468-.473 the extractor will probably work.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Paul Mauser mathematically calculated and built magazine boxes and followers to create the correct stack angle for each individual cartridge. This "one-size-fits-all" or "unisex" idea violates Mauser's original concept.

AD

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Not knowing exactly what was done to your vz24 when it was converted to .30-06 the safe assumption is that any -06 based cartidge will be a snap. If any feed work was done to it, it may not like to feed Xx57 based cartridges anymore.

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote