New
Find
Notify
Tools

m1 garand
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Might be in the wrong spot but am wondering if there is a place on this site with a drawing for the m1 garand. am new to sport and need to clean up rifle and figure why firing pin is not setting off charge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Variety of reasons why weapon will not discharge round, but couple items come to mind.
Is the Garand a CMP rifle? or is it an import as in Blue Sky, etc.?? CMP (civilian marksmanship program) rifles may be rough as a cob, but do know they inspect for function and safety so good place to start. What ammo being used?? Headspace been checked?? Is the firing pin broken?? Easy enough to check, if you field strip rifle you will be able to tell easily. If not familiar with the rifle, go to www.odcmp.com and pull up mainenance and care of M1 U.S.Service Rifle on menu and gives detail data. If you need additional data, help, etc., drop me a PM. I shoot a NM Garand and several around here do as well, so someone here can help I am sure.
Favor Center!!
dsiteman

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/garand/garand.pl

has a Garand forum and a bunch of very knowledgeable folks.

It is a real GI rifle or one of the ones put together with a cast receiver. If it were the latter I would suggest saving the headaches and get the real deal from CMP. The cast receivers can be out of spec. IF all the parts are good you might get a receiver from CMP.

It could be simply a broken firing pin. Field strip it and look. The pin should protrude from the front of the bolt if you push on the back of the pin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info on the M1, was for a friend who has it and I know zip about garands so I couldn't help him but you have.