Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun type tang safety on a bolt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
Is it possible to have a shotgun/DR type tang safety installed on a bolt rifle(Mod-70 Safari Express)?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be very difficult and would only give you a trigger safety.

On a DGR especially, I would prefer something which cams the firing pin and really makes the gun safe, such as the Mauser type safety.

On a rifle not so suited to life or death situations, a tang safety would be fine, its just the issue of cost/time vs what you get in the end... a safety.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about putting one on a Model 70 but there are some bolt rifles that already have them, from the factory. One is the older model Ruger 77, and another is the present-day Savage Model 12 -- there may be others too. The Savage Model 12 is actually a 3-position tang safety.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
had one fitted to a pre64M70 in 1953 by Anderson Gun Shop, Yakima, WA. No idea where the rifle is today.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Tang safetys may be installed on custom Mauser projects by fabricating an extended tang and custom safety button. You have to use a trigger that has a side safety such as a Canjar and make a linkage to the button. They look pretty nice and I believe there have been some photos of a few examples on this forum.

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Savage 1920 and 1926 used a tang safety. I also have a German Guild Mauser in 270 that has one. Being a lefty with all these bolts on the wrong side, I kinda appreciate them Big Grin

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looked in the gun rack turns out I have a Griffin & Howe Mauser '06 with a tang safety in addition to the Mauser safety. G&H serial number indicates made by them in 1939. Action is ex-military. No idea whether G&H made the safety or a customer brought the action to them already modified. Have never had it out of the stock so don't know how it works.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Best type of safety for a bolt gun. The Ruger 77 in its first form had them from the factory. That makes it my favorite hunting rifle.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the Old Ruger 77 tang safety.I can push the safety and pull the trigger at the same time.I hate the new Ruger safety or the famous model 70 safety.I shoot my 338 win mags like a fine double shotgun at deer.I tried my new Rugers on deer and the biggest buck I have ever seen ran when I flicked the safety on my new Rugers.I am still looking for a good old model 77 Ruger in 458.I found one in 416 Taylor at cabelas.Elmer Keith also said the same thing that you could fire way quicker with a tang safety rifle than a model 70 type.The deer I shoot with my old ruger 338s dont hear the safety they just get flattened in their tracks by my 338 win mag.I have around 7 old rugers.and 3 new ones.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chisana:
Tang safetys may be installed on custom Mauser projects by fabricating an extended tang and custom safety button. You have to use a trigger that has a side safety such as a Canjar and make a linkage to the button. They look pretty nice and I believe there have been some photos of a few examples on this forum.

Forrest

These are from a year ago. Canjar made a kit once upon a time (not this one) and I tried to get them to consider a new run based on a minimum order of their choice but they declined. Not a horribly difficult thing to do from scratch plus you can reshape the tang at the same time.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Tigger,

That's a good example. They look nice with the rear screw hole modified so that it is blind and the button built up and sculpted like an English shotgun. I have a Canjar side safety trigger in the parts bin to use on a full stocked carbine with a 1910 Mexican Mauser action. Tang safety, intermediate length, small ring action, bolt peep rear sight. Should be a nice sleek package!

Forrest

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chisana,
I sent you a PM about the tang safety.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Does anyone know of who would or could do this kind of work ??

I've got an upcoming Mauser project I'd like to see about incorperating this feature.

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Tim,

I know that Ed Lapour can perform this modification. Stephen Heilmann's brochure shows a Mauser with a tang safety also. Ed has done full blown metal work for me and he does a great job. I would also check the American Custom Gunmakers Guild directory of services. It should list severl gunmakers who are willing and able to do this type of work. Try to find a Canjar side safety trigger, as I believe those are the best to use for this modification.

Forrest Bowers

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred