New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 99 Bedding Results
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My old 99E .308 was never much of shooter. I bought it about three and a half years ago, used in fair condition from an old guy whose hunting days were over. The best group I ever got out of it was a bit inside of 3" using 147 grn no-name euro Ball ammo. I worked up loads with a half a dozen different bullets and the best I could get was 3" to 3 1/2" with a 150 grn Partition. 180 grn Partitions went in to groups of 5" to 6"

I took this rifle deer hunting in Wisconsin 3 years ago for brush hunting in the dense north woods. One morning when the temperature was about 8 degrees I had a 6 point whitetail come within 75 yards. I tried to flick the safety off but the damn thing was frozen shut and wouldn't budge. I watched that buck stroll off as I cussed my rifle, and my own stupidity. That rifle hasn't been hunting since.

Well, I going whitetail hunting in Wisconsin again this year. I had a hell of a time keeping the snow off my scope lenses the last time so this year I'm taking an dedicated iron sight rifle, along with my scoped rifles. So I bugged Ray Atkinson into posting his bedding tips for the 99 and went and worked that old clunker over. It was a fairly simple procedure and it sure looked good when it was done.

I took it to the range today with three different loads that I had worked up three years ago. These are approximate averages for 4 three shot groups at 100 yds, off good bench rest gear, in a 10 to 15 mph wind, with a 2 x 7 leupold.

150 grn Hornady sp..... 2"
150 grn Partition...... 2 1/4"
180 grn Partition ..... 2 1/4"

These won't win any turkey shoots, but they are much improved from what they were.

I then removed the scope and installed an XS Sight Systems Ghost Ring set. I shot a few rounds to get on paper, and then put 5 rounds in to a group of a bit under 4". The barrel had to be pretty well fouled by this time, so I quit for the day

Well, I feel a whole lot better about this rifle now. It's no world beater but I'm sure it's "minute of deer" out to 100 yds or a little farther. It's lookin' good, scopeless and with that ghost ring on it.

She's not a closet queen any more. She's a workin' girl again, thanks to Ray.

Elmo

P.s. I'm gonna post a Frozen Gun Topic here on the gunsmith board. All you north woods boys feel free to put your 2 cents worth in there.

[ 07-12-2003, 03:59: Message edited by: elmo ]

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elmo
You might try this load:
165gr Sierra HPBT Game King, 39.5gr of IMR 3031, CCI or Federal primers.
This load has shot very well in every 308 I have tried it in. Once while at the range a fella was testing loads in his Savage 99, and was not having good luck. I gave him 5 of the above load and he shot the best group his rifle had ever fired. This load has shot good in every type 308 rifle from Ultra accurate Match/Sniper rifles to H&K 91's.
Give it a try. I use the same powder charge with 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips and 165 Nosler Partitions.

[ 07-12-2003, 05:26: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already, take some Wipeout or JB to that bore. It might surprise you.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you haven't already, take some Wipeout or JB to that bore. It might surprise you.

I also shoot barrel-mounted foreends with the front bags way back toward the action. Seems to help.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450
Thanks for the load data. I 've always been a Varget Guy due to the fact that it shoots so well out of my Steyr .308. And I use a 165 Nos BT with 44.5 grns Varget @ 2700 fps in that rifle. But I'm not so smart that I can't learn a new trick, so I'll give that 3031 a try and see what happens.

SteveY
I've J-B'ed the bejeezus out of that thing a number of times because it was pretty crusty when I got it. Funny that you mention Wipeout because when I went to the range on friday they had some on the shelf, so I picked up two cans. I've heard all the "Curmudgeons" rave about that stuff, and since they don't like anything new, I figured it must be pretty good. [Big Grin]

Since then it's had 4 squirts over the last 48 hours and I'm still getting blue copper infested patches out of it.The fifth squirt is working as we speak and I'll patch out tomorrow evening. Maybe there's still hope for improvement.

Elmo

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Did Ray tell you to open the forearm up, bed it, and put a lock washer on the main action throughboltscrew?

DuDE... try the lock washer.... turn it down flat, and see what happens...

my 358 like the forearm treatment,,, 5 years later, a friend was hunting with it... came undone... slipped a split ring lock washer in there,,, and the groups went from 2 to barely bigger than 1.

jeffe

Posts: 39598 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmo, where do I find those Atkinson bedding tips for the 99?

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe
I assume that you are talking about the long screw that connects the butt stock to the receiver. It's certainly worth a try. The countersunk hole that the forend screw/slingstud inhabits was very soft and punky so I drilled it out and built up an epoxy pillar in its place. I'm wondering now if that butt stock screw hole might not benefit from the same treatment. Hmmmm...

Vigillinus
Do a "search" at the top of this page for "Atkinson's Savage 99 Bedding Techniques" It's in the gunsmithing board and posted about 3 or 4 weeks ago

Elmo