THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Do you have "Chump" written all over your face?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you have "Chump" written all over your face?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
I do. See, I paid professional gunsmiths to build me a couple of rifles. I plan to do it twice more in the near future. So why am I a chump? I was talking to a gunowner in my battalion. I asked what rifles he has. One is a Remington 700 in .250-3000 Savage. I asked who built it. He di it himself.

"You're a gunsmith?"

No

"But you have a lathe and mill?"

No.

He held the barrel in a vise and chucked the reamer in a drill. For lube he used a couple of cans of WD-40! [Eek!] Hey, it shoots straight!

What a fool I've been!.........On second thought, I think I'll have the pros do the work. Wow!

Posts: 7593 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Funny, I met mine in my battalion. He was the battalion XO and I was a CO training officer. He DID have a mill. He HAD built LOTS of guns.

Today, many, many years later... he's gotten a bigger, better lathe (I know, I was one of eight guys who got a hernia moving the damn thing into his basement and bringing the "small" [small???] one out), and he's built or worked on EVERYTHING I own.

You just need a different battalion. Keep trying.

(Chucked the reamer in a power drill? Used WD-40 for lube? ARRRRRRRRRGH!!!) [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
You say it shoots straight. What kind of groups? how consistant of a zero? Does he reload his own cartridges?

I'll bet he held some real tight tolerances. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy I know ( and who shall remain nameless) made his 270 with a Makita drill powering the reamer. He ended up going a little deep but, as luck would have it, 280 brass headspaced perfectly. He was pleased with the results! When he decided to sell the rifle some years later he did have me set it back. Thoughtful. He had done a remarkably good job of reaming it straight. I don't know what he did for the threads or perhaps it was a threaded and short chambered barrel. This same guy was a fine stockmaker and made some very pretty rifles. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that wouldn't have been a certain Herr Meck now would it?

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
I said "nameless"! Another guy had a setup so he could chamber on a drill press. Again, he turned out some surprisingly good work. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
Thomas,
I said "nameless"! Another guy had a setup so he could chamber on a drill press. Again, he turned out some surprisingly good work. Regards, Bill.

yeah, that's it.. i am going to sell my lathe and just use my firestorm cordless and saw-zal. yeahyeah.. i can put the barrel in a pipe vise, like indexing it, and cut the threads with a bimetal blade.. and if I run it fast enough, it'll polish the threads... yeahyeah... and mymymmymymy firestorm, well, i'll need another battary, as the 9.6's just get too hot too fast, and you can't use the same finish reamer to start the hole.. and I've got some bacon fat to lube it... should be fine... and then I can just stick the receiver in the freezer and the barrel over the stove, till the threads get red hot, and then use my pipe wrench to fuse em together.. dont need to rosin or nuttin..

Hell, if the thread wont work, my brother in law's (that's my first cousin) has a pipe rig on his truck and we can just bore em both to waterpipe threads... he's got a torch, so we can anneal that hard barrel and action, and they'll fit right togehter.y

yeahyeaheayh... and we'll use a remington action for my 505 gibbbs based 270... it's the 277 whitetailfromamile,, shooting 110 gr at 4200 fps... gotta be barnes bullets though.. them lead jacketed thangs just make a blue mist on the way down the range..

hey, i found a tasco 6x24 when I was picking up trash, for the county, know-what-i-mean, just a little bent, so I put it back in my pipe vise and tapped it back pretty striaght... I used the handle of my sledgehammer as a guide and tweeker..

Oh, yeah.. and for tapering the barrels, I'll start with a pacnor blank, and take my firestorm drill, and beat 2 horseshoin nails into the ends... set one end IN a cigerette putter outer thumbnul..(my wife thinks its so high class to have one of these in her nearly antique macdonalds aluminim ashtrays) and the other chucked into my cordless.. and take my beltsander to cut away the taper... yeehaa... just use that ole seldgehammer handle for a guide....

damn it.. this would have been even funnier if BBB had done it.

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Jeffeoso it is time for you to switch to decaf...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
This home made gun shoots straight enough for deer hunting (they haven't complained yet).

I'm glad he's in the same battalion as me. He has a lot more rank than me (I got E-5 pinned on today [Smile] ). He had to fight for us to get guns on post at all. My BR rifle is in the arms room and my M70 will be soon. I also plan to bring my BR Heavy Gun here for working up a load in my spare time.

I just wish he would have won the fight to allow us to have airguns in our quarters. I've got this mad thing for an RWS model 48 with a B&L 6-24x40.

Lee

Posts: 7593 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso- One of your best to date! Don't let Axel see it or he will be drilling out the M700's for pipe threads and using his Ridgid Pipe threader on the barrel for sure. I can just see that 460 reamer in the drill press now! I just expanded my expo on how you use a small lathe for Tapering. I'ts a hoot! It will take him a week at least to even figure out what I said! Bet he doesn't even get past how to take out the collet closer!-Best regards-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso-Are you related to or is your brother-in-law/first cousin that "Allen" guy? [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Stop, stop, you're giving me ideas! Please stop!
[Big Grin]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
jeffeosso..To manny cups of spoon coffe [Big Grin]

Have you ever thought about getting in to stand up commedy. This is the best one , soo far [Eek!] [Eek!]

I have been thinking about the 270-505 for a long time [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Could it be done in a short 700 action [Wink]

/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
LongDistanceOperator:

Congratulations on the promotion! Now, onto more important things... WHERE'S THE PARTY?! [Big Grin]

I am quite familiar with the Army's gun-control policies... you're lucky to get away with what you've achieved thus far.

You might rethink the scope choice for your "someday" air rifle. Better check out the air rifle page and ask those guys. I think a B&L 4000 Elite's adjustments might not take extended shooting on an air rifle. Scopes are in a whole different ballpark when you start needing them for air rifles.

Again, congratulations to you on the occasion of your promotion today. I know you must be very proud.

Lastly... thank you for serving your nation.

Godspeed, Sergeant LongDistanceOperator.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHAN:
I have been thinking about the 270-505 for a long time [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Could it be done in a short 700 action [Wink]

/ JOHAN

Johan,
Man, thanks...

Ask Axel, he seems to be the only expert in these matters on this here board...

opss, did I over do the humor?

:wink
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chambering rifles with a power drill? [Eek!] This sounds like something Axel would do! [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote