THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith in the greater Washington DC area?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted
I have a friend who has a Remington 11 shotgun given to him by a "famous" General Officer in the US Military. The gun is sentimental to him, but is in need of an over-haul - new bluing, action worked, etc.

Does anyone know of a good gunsmith in the greater DC area?

Thanks,

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sandy Garrett of Northern Virginia Gun Works on Fullerton Road is likely the best.

Northern Virginia Gun Works
7518 Fullerton Rd # K
Springfield, VA 22153
(703) 644-6504

He gets my tricky stuff. Excellent work and high prices.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appalachain Mt. Products / Steve Palmer - Williamsport MD.

PM me for details

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If the gun has good provenance like that it is better left alone. The value of an ordinary Model 11 is far less than the cost of the work and in the end, you have a gun worth $50 more than when you started.

OTOH, a gun from a famous personality is always best left in the condition it was in when it was bequeathed.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tiggertate is giving good advice for your friend. Get the gun into working order and professionally cleaned; thats a good thing.

Any Tom, dick or hairy can have a reblued M 11, but there's only M 11 on earth that has been worn down by field use from a 'famous General'. That blueing was rubbed off by hands, and the nicks and bumps dings are part of the legacy. Not to be sanded off, wire wheeled and covered up. Just my opinion.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote