THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do wood stocks bend over time due to gravity?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I remember someone told me to store Billiard cues vertically so they don't bend and take a set over time. I've taken a wood stock off of a Swedish M96 and let it lean against a wall for about 6 monthes, does anyone think stocks will bend over time?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time and gravity will affect subtle changes in anything. A look in the mirror confirms this! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not an expert, so take this with a grain of salt. :-)

I would think that moisture and temp would have affects on the wood, I don't think that gravity would. For one I don't think that most rifle stocks support enough weight for gravity to change their shape in a measurable amount. And rifles stored horizontally usually are supported at the forend and just behind the grip of the stock.

You have made me curious though. hopefully one of the stockmakers or gunsmiths will give us an answer.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Pyrotek billards fanatics have to have something to be paranoid about, just like gun nuts.
I wouldnt worry about it.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyrotek:
...does anyone think (Edit: add Termite Food) stocks will bend over time?

Hey Pyrotek, Don't know about your definition of bending, but they will "warp" - meaning in no consistent or predictable direction. It also makes no difference if they are on the rifle for them to warp or not.

And of course, they can be "deflected and lightened" due to the Termites chewing away on them.

By the way, the very best thing to keep a Termite Food stock from warping is to toss it into a good roaring fire!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Cossack>
posted
I've had a stock not just bend but crack from the effects of gravity. It was caused by leaning it at an angle in my safe to accomodate a target scope with turret adjustments. The rifle was a Thompson TCR, with medium heavy barrel and a two piece stock. While I got the crack together with epoxy, due to the bend, the metal to wood fit was not the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cossack,

Wow, sorry to hear that...come to think of it, I take wood for granted, when someone lean a complete rifle against a wall, imagine the wood disappear, and it's your hand that will need to support all the metal.

Now I only need ONE more horror story to confirm my fear...I took my M96 Swede stock off for refinishing(you know how Looong those stocks are), with boiled linseed oil and it was leant against a wall, at about 80 degrees. 6 monthes later the rifle is reassembled, another few monthes later the gun is brought to shoot with handloads. The rifle wouldn't shoot the same handload with old sub-MOA accuracy, changed powder charge weight, didn't help.

One more story...anyone?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Poorly sealed and finished stocks will warp..Walnut today is not properly dried for factory rifles as that is an expensive process in time, so improperly dried and cured wood warps and I doubt that gravity has anything to do with it but it might from a real technical standpoint, not something I'm going to worry about. Some of my guns are near 100 years old or better and they have not succombed to gravity or warpage...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote