New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend has a M70 classic 7mm Rem Mag. He shot a 270 Win in it the other day. Of course the case ruptured. Anyways he brought it over for me to look at because the bolt seems to bind. I told him it probably just needed cleaning, but he should have gunsmith check it out. So he takes it to a gunsmith that I know and respect. The gunsmith says headspace is OK but the bolt has a slight bend in it.

So my question is does this sound right? How would the bolt bend with out affecting headspace?

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
It doesn't take much to "bind" a bolt, and what little it takes shouldn't affect a headspace reading. The bolt face would likely tilt causing one side to retract from the gauge and the opposite side to tilt forward into the gauge.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Why would shooting a lower powered round with a smaller diameter bullet through the gun bend the bolt?

Is it because the case is not centered on the bolt face when it is fired?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Why would shooting a lower powered round with a smaller diameter bullet through the gun bend the bolt?

I guess that is why I'm asking. It doesn't quite seem right to me. If it could flex the face that much it seems one of the lugs must not have much contact.

Posts: 2392 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

If the bolt is indeed bent, then that would be my guess. However, I have seen a fair share of guns blown due to such cartridge/chamber mismatching, and I can't recall a single one of them who's bolt bent. I've seen actions, bottom metal and stocks tweaked or completely destroyed because of it, but to my recollection, not a single bolt bent as a result. However, anything and everything is possible when playing with those kinds of forces.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ohiosam:
I guess that is why I'm asking. It doesn't quite seem right to me. If it could flex the face that much it seems one of the lugs must not have much contact.

And WE know that is a common problem. Big Grin I would think that there would have to be some serious slop in the way the bolt fits the raceway and locks up for such a thing to occur. I would have to see the action and the bolt before I would think it was bent from that.