New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weaver side scope mount. Imfo needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone knowledgeable about weaver side mounts?

Weaver has a High and Low side mount.

Does weaver have different bases for these 2 moumts?

I bought a low mount of ebay. Scope would mount centered top of the reciever and barrel.Good.

I just recieved a high mount and useing the same base the scope will be way off center of the reviever.

Called weaver tech support,No clue. Called midway,clueless. Called brownells, dont know.

Anyone know if there is the weaver high mount has a base so the scope is centered proberly with the reciever?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Side mounts are suppose to sit off to one side of the reciever,are you mounting it on a win 94 or marlin or what? vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No ,,, Bolt rifle. Sorry my post wasnt clear.

1927 remington model 30 "Custom"

Looks like my low mount will work with a leupold 40 obj. 3x9x40.

So I will use this low mount , and its centered nice with the reciever and barrel.

I just have to get it machined(clearenced ) for the turents.

Anyone else know if the bases are different for low and high mount?

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked in the shop and then in the current Brownells catalogue. I was aware of a long side mount and a short side mount but not a high or low. The mounts use the same bases which are for particular actions but the mounts are common.
The base itself is formed at about a 125 degree angle and when attached to the side of the receiver, the mount attachment area of the base at about 35 degrees off the front view horizontal axis of the action. The mount attaches and the rings are generally level in relation to the action.
What was made in the past I don't know but this is what I found.

Posts: 313 | Location: Alaska to Kalispell MT | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Side mounts usually have the scope set up on the side for clearance of the shell extractiion. are you putting it on a 94 win or marllin,or what?

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dian1, This rifle had a real, real old weaver side mount. The kind that the rings dont come apart,(slide in style, where you have to take the scope apart and slide the tube in the rings).

Weaver presently has a high side mount 2 piece set with base.

weaver also made a low mount/base set. I think it is a older part maybe dicontinued.

I have a new high mount and a older low mount with base, and also the real, real old 1 piece mount/base.

The new high mount is the only one that has clearence for the windage/elevation turent.

I think Ill just have to order a new style base to see if its different than the low base. Eeker