New
Find
Notify
Tools

K95 custom barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can a Blaser K95 have a custom barrel made and fitted other than one from Blaser?

Say in a different caliber or in an existing caliber but a longer barrel.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have to check with the factory.

I had a semi custom barrel made for me in late 02/early 03. It was a 26" 6.5x57R (standard length 24") I thought it would be possible because the factory did a 26" 6.5x68R. I think that they actualy made it from scratch as it has the correct x57R tight twist. It was prettey expensive but a great barrel.

A couple of years ago I investigated getting a custom barrel made but was told they no longer did that sort of thing as they were working flat out to satisfy demand in the new shotgun. Not sure if that has changed.

At some point I may well get my smith to make me a custom barrel by removing a K95 barrel from the monobloc and subsituting a custom one. The trouble is getting hold of a monobloc - the factory won't release monoblocs only.

That gets me thinking I might quite like to make the whole shebang. K95 barrrels now seem very expensive to me - there's quite a bit of money to play with to break even.
What calibre/length do you want?

one of us
posted Hide Post

My wife saw the K95 ( in pictures only so far) and really liked it. We are in the thinking stage, but if we go for it we would like a 7x57R in a 25.6" barrel and possibly a Hornet but the Hornet could be in the stock 23.6" barrel, though would prefer the 25.6" length.

Can a gunsmith remove a stock barrel from the mono block and replace it? I assume the answer is no but thought I'd ask.
I have not seen a K95 in person yet.

Allen

It's a Mauser thing, you wouldn't understand.

Posts: 656 | Location: North of Prescott AZ | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen,

Once you get bit by the K-95 Rifle & Barrels Bug you are Doomed forever......avoid "meeting one in person" as long as you can.

Big Grin

While I certainly cannot speak for your Wife; mine, who is no great Hunter by any stretch of the imagination; simply adores the rifle and when the few opportunites arise when she does accompany me - it's HER Rifle. She claims the "estetics" (of course!), weight, and the light recoil are her favorite points. The short barrel gives it quite a Bark though.

I have a K-95 Luxus Stutzen in 7X57R (19.6" bbl.) and have only glowing praise for this K-95 combination. I use it as a light stalking rifle and it is simply a joy to sling over your shoulder and carry afield; not only for it's uncanny accuracy but the recoil and cartridge compliment the weight & handiness of the rifle. Apparently a very large percent of K-95's are manufactured in .308 Winchester for this very reason. The only two I've ever seen on Used Gun Racks here in The Fatherland were chambered in 9.3x74R which IMO would be a pretty good handful for such a light rifle. Another friend has the standard legnth rifle in .30/06 Sprg. and he's as delighted with his as I am with mine.

Blaser's barrels are made by hammer forging over barrel mandrels and from what I've heard from custom makers who have tried to work on them - the steel is very hard, tough on Tools and difficult to work.

My current catalog lists non-standard "Barrel Lengths" as a Factory Custom Option but they refer to "short barrels" as opposed to longer lengths although the 60 & 65 cm lengths ought to pretty much cover all the bases for their cartridge options IMO.

http://www.blaser.de/Calibers-Standard-Imperial.129.0.html?&L=1

Have Fun considering a K-95.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This guy, I believe, installs custom barrels on Blasers:

http://www.bixn-andy.at/

Sadly, this information may be of little value to you, for some or all of the following reasons:

1) it apparently takes a LONG time (years?) to get a barrel or a gun out of this shop.
2) the prices will NOT be comparable to what you might expect to pay in the US. Generally, prices for European firearms related items are "just a tad" higher than comparable US prices...
3) In order to send you a barrel, the smith would probably have to deal with a bunch of export red-tape. I don't know if he is willing (or versed in how) to do this?

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenBosely:

My wife saw the K95 ( in pictures only so far) and really liked it. We are in the thinking stage, but if we go for it we would like a 7x57R in a 25.6" barrel and possibly a Hornet but the Hornet could be in the stock 23.6" barrel, though would prefer the 25.6" length.

Can a gunsmith remove a stock barrel from the mono block and replace it? I assume the answer is no but thought I'd ask.
I have not seen a K95 in person yet.

Allen

Great calibre choices. It's a light rifle so recoil is quite stiff. I would reccomend the US style stock which is very well proportioned providing you don't want to use irons.

They are extremely accurate.

I don't know if a smith can remove the barrel from the monobloc but I would have thought they could.

If you pm me your e mail address I'll send you some photos.