New
Find
Notify
Tools

drawings for barrel wrench
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any one that knows where I can find detailed drawings for barrel wrenches, action blocks ect. I have access to a mill and lathe and would like to make my own.

Thanks

Posts: 263 | Location: New York | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you mean barrel "vise". I made my own out of two pieces of 2 x 4 x 4" steel blocks shimmed apart about .100" and then bored out to accept 1.250" aluminum sleeves. Used four bolts of 1/2-20 allen head cap screw for the clamping force. The aluminum sleeves are bored to accept the barrel and then dusted with rosin powder to keep the barrel from slipping.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I bought a book from Brownell's titled "The Complete Illustrated Guide to Precision Rifle Barrel Fitting" by John L.Hinnant. It has good detailed instructions with drawings for building a barrel vise and action wrench. I made one and have used it quite a bit.
If you don't want to buy the book e mail me and I'll send you photocopies of the pages on the vise and action wrench.

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a Ole Timer's trick.

The poor man's "Barrel Wrench" usually works only on rifles chambered for cartridges designed for lower pressures, (like lever guns). It's simply a piece of rope. It won't pull an original barrel off a military rifle, but it's worth a try on others if you don't have a proper barrel vise and action wrench.

Get a 10' length of heavy 1/2" rope and fold it double. Starting with the two ends of the rope, start wrapping it tightly around the barrel at the receiver. With the action in a vise, stick an ax handle (or anything stout of sufficient length for leverage) in the looped end of the rope and unscrew the barrel. You may be surprised how much torque you can actually apply with this method.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
This is what I did for a barrel block to work on my Mauser.

I'm sure that it could be much prettier, but it worked fine.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote