THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Scope mount for someone who just lost sight inright eye

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope mount for someone who just lost sight inright eye
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guy's I need your help, a good friend of mine had a stroke and lost the sight in his right eye.he's only 42 years old and he is still in great shape (stroke only took the vision) He's a avid hunter.I would like to come up with a off set scope mount so he can shoot right handed. Any suggestion on where I could locate one would be great appreciated. Bruce

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bbruce

I am sure a good gunsmith could fabricate a suitable mount.

However this might work for him and is "off the shelf"

I learned this technique shooting M 16 rifles with night vision scopes. When the rather large NV units were mounted on the AR handles, the result was a very high eyepiece, making it impossible to get any sort of cheek weld...

Unless you used your "off eye", ie as a right hander I put my face on the stock and used my left eye to aim with.

Your friend might try to find some of those scope mounts that are designed so you can use iron sights by looking under the scope.

They might position the scope up high enough so he can use his left eye while still shooting from the right shoulder.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey bbruce, A very long time ago I was in the woods/swamps Deer Hunting and noticed a respectable Deer to my Right. From my position, it was impracticle to shoot from my right shoulder and I nearly gave up.

Kept looking at the Deer and finally put the rifle into my Left Shoulder and was a bit surprised about how well it aligned. Had to do a bit of thinking about trying the shot, but the Deer was in no hurry.

Finally decided to shoot and the Deer fell dead. I began practicing a bit from my Left and find it works right well for me. I do keep those shots closer than I would from my Right simply because of the terrain and understory where a Left shot makes sense for me.

I would estimate that 18-20% of my woods/swamp shots come from my Left.
-----

Not trying to convince you or your buddy to forget the Scope Mount, just letting you know that shooting from the Left is not a big problem with a bit of practice.

Best of luck to your buddy.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
This an alternantive that works for some; most often seen in shotguns though. This is a left-eye dominant, right handed Mauser stock at GAG:

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
This an alternantive that works for some; most often seen in shotguns though. This is a left-eye dominant, right handed Mauser stock at GAG:

Triggertate: In 1972 I sold a Holland & Holland .275 Mauser at the Edmonton gun show which had a "crossover" stock similar to what you show, except, of course, it was beautifully finished. The idea was quite common in Britain.

Just took a bit of skill in "bending" the blank to get enough "cast-off". As I understand it, it it was done by bending the stock slowly in a cabinet where it was kept both warm and moist (similar to a rust-bluing cabinet), then drying it in a kiln (oven).

BTW, as I had no use for that Holland myself, I sold it for the munificent sum of $250 Can. Wouldn't mind having it back for that price....

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bbruce

My father had the exact same issue, a stroke took 90% of his vision in his left eye and he was left handed and left eye dominate. Being that his vision was almost completely gone in his left eye he decide to begin shooting right handed and aiming with his right eye. in a short period of time his good eye became dominate and with a little practice he was able to continue hunting and shooting almost as well as before.

Posts: 161 | Location: houma louisiana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank DeHaas, the man who wrote "Bolt Action Rifles" had the same circumstances- maybe a search on him, his books, whatever, could be of help.

There is a lot of good info already in this thread.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My youngest son is left master eyed and strongly right handed. He's also in the military and it is important that he shoot well.

We had tried about every arrangement when we finally tried a Holosight mounted on an M4. He is able to shoot right handed and left eyed ... fast ... and able to just pound targets at ranges well beyond 100 yards. They say the central dot is 1 MOA ... I think it's actually a little smaller. Works fine on game at reasonable ranges and is a "very fast to target acquisition sight."

EoTech also makes a bow sight ... which I have used and like. Have not tried it with my left eye only, but I'd suggest it might be worth a try.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's for the reply's. I talked to him tonight and I think we are going to try shooting left handed this weekend
I 'm going to talk to him about the halo sight might be the ticket for close game.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
williams has offset scope mounts http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...%20MOUNT%20&%20RINGS

shooting lefty for me is no problem, but working the action is not so smooth.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A hunting colleague of mine shoots right handed/left eyed. He has had an offset scope mount made, and seems to be doing well enough with it.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am right handed and have shot from my left shoulder all my life as my right eye is poor. I am now 50. I have always used right handed bolt actions and have mastered using it profeciently. It is not that hard. I once bought a left handed Sako bolt action but traded it after two weeks. could not master it. A little practise shooting from left shoulder and you will be fine. Good luck
Deer hunter

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
The factory scope mount setup on the m1A has always seem to lend itself to using the left eye. Not very classic in the hunting rifle sense, but effective.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote