New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BLR assembly
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got the bolt & lever timed. Now I'm scratching my head about getting the mainspring and follower installed. The follower is a rod about 2" long that goes between the follower seat on the spring and the hammer. How do you compress that spring to get the follower into position without launching everything across the room?

I think when I get it done, I'm going to write "Browning BLR" in my notebook and then scratch a line through it to remind myself to never do this again. Sometimes you just need to say "no thanks".

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I put the receiver in a padded vise and hold the mainspring tube in an ER40 mt4 collet to hold on to like a big pin vise. Then I insert the spring and follower, put the rod up against the hammer and press it all together and screw it in with the collet. Some guys lock the mainspring tube in the vise and use the receiver as a handle but it's a bit clutzy to screw on that way.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't touch one with a ten foot Pole.
Or a twelve foot Czechoslovakian.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rod, a belated thanks for the tip. I've got something I can use for an XL pin vise.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 545 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M Pursell:
Rod, a belated thanks for the tip. I've got something I can use for an XL pin vise.

I have a 1/8th x 1-1/8th 5C pin vise. Handy for all of your delicate, holding type jobs. LOL

5C pin vise by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote