Find
Notify
Tools

Changing Magazine Length
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted
I recently purchased one of the new Winchester Mod 70's in 30-06. Since I shoot mostly 200 gr bullets I want to change the magazine length and have the rifle throated to accept 200 gr bullets seated to base of the neck. I can remove the block from the magazine box but will I need to purchase a new follower? Any feeding problems expected?

Thanks,
Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can remove the block from the magazine box but will I need to purchase a new follower? Any feeding problems expected

I removed the block a number of times on the magnum version to make STWs etc never had a feeding issue. In my case I replaced the follower. Never tried it with the shorter one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
Paul,
I guess thats really my question. The only follower that would fit would be for a 300 WIN or something like that. With it being a Mag case will it cause feeding problems with the smaller dia cases.

Aaron

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
for a 300 WIN or something like that

Nope more like one for a 300H&H 375H&H STW etc. The 300 would be the same length as the 30-06.

If I was unsure I would remove the spacer seat a bullet out and see if it would feed with the follower I had. If not try the long magnum follower if I then needed to change the angle I would even consider some liquid steel etc.

All else still failing put the spacer back in and shoot them short.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote