New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rebore ? Rem 7600-from 30-06 to 375/06
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It's as much, or more, to rebore as it is to rebarrel.
IMHO, unless the outside of the barrel is somthing special (half octagon, unusual markings, engraving etc) rebarrel it instead.
Search back about a years worth, pricing and time considerations have been discussed.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you have any idea how much this would cost , I was thinking about having a gun rebored but don't know the cost.

one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
No Idea on cost,I called them and left a message ,waiting on a call back.
Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tailgunner, that is not what I have been told from Fred Zeglin, he quotes rebores at $355. That is cheaper then having someone rebarrel for you. You can do it yourself cheaper but if the project is outsourced this would seem cheaper. The downside is the 8 month wait.

Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
A straight-up rebore is $200.00. Chambering and headspacing will be additional, shouldn't be more than a bolt gun. In this case, a new barrel would be more as there is fitting to the barrel extension plus the chambering, headspacing, etc. I would continue to try to reach Cliff LabOunty or another reborer. Well's Sports Shop and Dan Pedersen is another source. He (Cliff) is a very busy gentleman and may not return the first call as he and all of these craftsmen get more inquiries than they can handle.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I would add that 760s are pretty light and not especially well-stocked for recoil. It may not be as fun as it sounds.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The common sense thing to do is to shoot heavier bullets from the 30-06 case.

Next would be to buy a rifle in say .35 Whelan or even 9.3-62.

After that your into wildcat territory and the headspace control is questionable with that cartridge. I did just chrono a 375 Whelan Improved and it seemed to function well. Maximum velocities were not reached but it did about 2350 fps from a 24" barrel with the 270 gr bullets.

The thing about that 760 will be that it may not take the pressures and could have extraction problems will full loads.

On the other hand it won't cost much more than a night at the Hyatt in SD with a view of the water.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote