Find
Notify
Tools

Brownell's "Butterball" bolt handle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
I have a Brazilian Mauser that I just barreled to 9.3 X 62 and want to put a "classic" Mannlicher bolt handle on. I bought the Brownell's "Butterball" bolt handle and need some guidance on attaching it. After looking it over for some time, I'm in a quandry over what angle I should attach it. I'm of the opinion that I shouldn't weld it so close to the root of the existing handle that I have to cut a notch in the receiver. If that is sound planning, how far out should I weld it? Another thing is, the angle that it should be when the bolt is closed. I'm thinking that about 30 deg. from the vertical would work.

I would appreciate anyone's experience and/or opinion about this project.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, IMHO< that bolt handle is uglier than Phyllis DIller! But, if you are intent on putting it on, a notch in the receiver is not detrimental and the handle should be welded, tig welded I might add, close to the root so you will have clearance for the scope. That goes for the angle also.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Properly positioned, the handle should lay close along the side of the stock. I assume you are talking about a "butterknife" handle. If not, then I haven't any info for you.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
First off, IMHO< that bolt handle is uglier than Phyllis DIller!

rotflmo

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
To Malm and Jim Kolbe: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", but, I think you're right after having seen it in the "flesh". I think I'll be returning it for either one of the other two offerings Brownell's has.

To get back to my question of "mechanics", I appreciate the idea that it should lay close to the stock. However, never having done one of these and not having any photographic examples, I want to have the root of the handle "rolled" over like many of the older commercial Mausers and not squared off at the root. If I do this, I think I will have to have the handle out far enough that I don't cut a notch in the receiver such as you have to in the Model 70 style handles. Being that far out, I think that it will clear the side of the stock and still clear a relatively low mounted scope. Please give me your thoughts on this and any pictorial examples you may have. Thanks!

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that, my man, is even uglier. Would have to put that in the Whoopi Golberg class.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
GSP7 - That me be "double ugly" but, it was just what I was looking for. Mine will not look like that but, it will probably clear the stock at an angle of about 30 deg. and may require a SLIGHT inletting at the root of the bolt and the stock. Thanks for the picture! I take it that is an older BRNO?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just copyed that pic from the Brno 21H post

Yea , It looks butt ugly to me too!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Masterrifleman, I like the butterknife bolt handle setup too. Very classic.

Here is a #1207 setup for low scope mounts

I think this one is a butterball

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:

Is this just an optical illusion or is the rear scope base hole off center?

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
optical dillusion, it's where it's supposed to be.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
TC1 - Great pictures and thanks for the reply. I knew there would be a lot of things I could use here. Thanks again for the pictures.