Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Band Swivel Stud for M98K Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
I'm in the middle of a budget Obendorf style 8X57 Mauser project.

I am using a short schnabel forend stock like this.

I want to place the front swivel stud on the barrel & it will be located about 1/2" from the front end of the tapered portion of the stepped barrel.

I have had the muzzle crowned & the taper has been continued to just about 2" from the front receiver ring. The taper is still the same as the original military porofile & it just cleans up the "flat" where the military sight sleeve was soldered on.

Does anyone know if a barrel band swivel mount is made in that particular taper?

Here are some pix of the project thus far.

I am using a Yugoslavian Intermediate length large ring VZ500 action that has never been barreled. I bought 2 of them from a member of this site several years ago for $135 ea.

I cut & re-welded the butterknife bolt handle for low scope mount clearance. I also replaced the Mark 2 safety W/a Timney copy of the Beuler safety.

The other action now has a Harris bolt handle welded to it. I'm thinking 6.5X55 for this one.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am reading this correctly, the taper should not matter; just measure the barrel diameter where you want the sling swivel to fit and order one of the correct size and solder it on.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
If I am reading this correctly, the taper should not matter; just measure the barrel diameter where you want the sling swivel to fit and order one of the correct size and solder it on.

In order to solder it on & expect it to be a sound joint, the fit will have to be close. That will need @ least a taper that is close.

I have found tapered barrel bands, but I thought that there would probably be one W/the exact taper.

Soldering on a parralel sleeve would NOT be very sound or look good for that matter. The taper is .019" per inch so that would leave about .010" gap @ the front.

If I can not find the exact taper, I will just get one close & "fit" it.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks mighty good so far!

Many barrel-band swivel bases aren't tapered at all, you must form the taper yourself when installing the band. We had a short discussion about this subject on this site a few weeks ago, and most agreed that the band needed to be tapered to match the barrel for best adhesion of whatever attaching medium you choose. It's easy to achieve this, simply wrap some coarse emery cloth around the front (smaller) part of the barrel and then slip the band over the emery cloth and begin rotating. The taper of the barrel will result in tapering the inside of the band, eventually.

At least one of us has found that simply using Black Max to hold an untapered band will result in the band slipping later.

I hesitantly offer one caveat about your choice of actions for your project. I've used several forms of these Yugo intermediate-length actions and I really like them, but have found that some of them have a somewhat off-center rear bridge hump. The scope mount holes are centered OK but they appear to be off-center because there's a big bulge in the rear bridge hump, usually on the left sloping side. I simply use a large mill file to even-up the sloped sides of the bridge hump since the off-center bulge appears to be extra metal that had been left by some fault in the shaping process. A simple fix for a problem that should never have occurred in an otherwise-OK action.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:

Many barrel-band swivel bases aren't tapered at all, you must form the taper yourself when installing the band. We had a short discussion about this subject on this site a few weeks ago, and most agreed that the band needed to be tapered to match the barrel for best adhesion of whatever attaching medium you choose. It's easy to achieve this, simply wrap some coarse emery cloth around the front (smaller) part of the barrel and then slip the band over the emery cloth and begin rotating. The taper of the barrel will result in tapering the inside of the band, eventually.

At least one of us has found that simply using Black Max to hold an untapered band will result in the band slipping later.

I hesitantly offer one caveat about your choice of actions for your project. I've used several forms of these Yugo intermediate-length actions and I really like them, but have found that some of them have a somewhat off-center rear bridge hump. The scope mount holes are centered OK but they appear to be off-center because there's a big bulge in the rear bridge hump, usually on the left sloping side. I simply use a large mill file to even-up the sloped sides of the bridge hump since the off-center bulge appears to be extra metal that had been left by some fault in the shaping process. A simple fix for a problem that should never have occurred in an otherwise-OK action.
Regards, Joe

The emory cloth method was one option I was considering.

About the mount bases.

These actions are dead nuts on as far as the scope base mounting surfaces. That is one thing I always check after having a rear bridge ground out of spec on 43 vintage JP Saur M98K I had worked on. The VZ500s I have are true to contour & the proper hieght for perfect paralel alignment of the rings.

Thanks for the heads up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thirdbite:
Where did the stock in the top picture come from or is it just an example? Where did the you get the actual stock pictured? Thanks.

Well, the picture of the finished stock if from the website where I purchased the stock in the pix.

Trouble is, this project has been on the back burner for about 4 years & I do not remember where I got the stock.

I will do some searching.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:

Regards, Joe

The emory cloth method was one option I was considering.

About the mount bases.

These actions are dead nuts on as far as the scope base mounting surfaces. That is one thing I always check after having a rear bridge ground out of spec on 43 vintage JP Saur M98K I had worked on. The VZ500s I have are true to contour & the proper hieght for perfect paralel alignment of the rings.

Thanks for the heads up.

I went onto Brownells site & they no longer have the tapered barrel band stud mount.

I did some searches & Midway has a .750" Gentry paralel bore barrel band. That is the size I need & I should only have to taper the I.D. about .006" or so.

The great news is that the .750" bore barrel band is on sale for $31.75. The barrel band & a pair of Dakota oval bases of which I will use 1 for the rear swivel mount, will only cost me $63.48 shipped!

Brownells wanted about $58 just for the barrel band.

UPDATE: I got the last .750" barrel band! They are now $53.99 & a 90 day special order!
https://www.midwayusa.com/view...productnumber=537661

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Check this out;

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...REL_BAND_SWIVEL_BASE

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where did the stock in the top picture come from or is it just an example? Where did the you get the actual stock pictured? Thanks.

Midway had a closeout on those stocks and hardware 4 or 5 years ago. IIRC they were described as Fagen closeouts and were less than $75. I grabbed a couple, wish I had snagged a couple more when they were available.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get one a littl smaller and taper bore it in the lathe, no big deal.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
quote:

Midway had a closeout on those stocks and hardware 4 or 5 years ago. IIRC they were described as Fagen closeouts and were less than $75. I grabbed a couple, wish I had snagged a couple more when they were available.

No, that IS NOT a close out Fajan stock & I paid a lot more than $75 for a piece of European Walnut.

I don't think Fajan made a semi inletted stock for the intermediate length large ring M98s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think Fajan made a semi inletted stock for the intermediate length large ring M98s.

Actually they did but only in a few patterns.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
That looks like an older pic from GAG.

Nice

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Masterifleman:
Check this out;

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...REL_BAND_SWIVEL_BASE

I got the last .750" Gentry stud that Midway had in stock for $31.75.

They are now a special order 90 day item for $53.99

For only $2 more than the Talley,($29.75)

I think I did OK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
That looks like an older pic from GAG.

Nice

If by GAG you mean "Great American Gunstocks", no.

I had them make a semi inletted stock out of quarter sawn Black Walnut back in 2000 for my M98K that I chambered in 8mm/06 A.I..

Nope, this outfit did good work in a timely manner. Not like GAG.

I had to put a lot of pressure on GAG to get my stock done before deer season that year. I got a lot of excuses but when I threatened to dispute the credit card charges, he got off his A$$ & got my stock done.

Ya know, I did some seaching & I think it WAS Great American Gunstocks.

Now I am going to have to figure out who it was that took so long on my M98K Black Walnut stock.!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That picture is indeed taken from Great American Gunstocks website.

http://www.gunstocks.com/

It is on page 6 of "Gallary of Completed Gunstocks" (rifle, one piece)

The unfinished stock pictured is from them also.