Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for long action screw?
 Login/Join

posted
I need a longer than standard front action screw for a Model 70 "Classic" long action.

The thread pitch is 1/4-32tpi, and the standard length is 1 5/16". After a stock change, I am only getting a couple of turns' engagement with the factory screw.

I have looked online (Fastenal, McFeely's, Brownell's) but cannot find a 1/4-32tpi 1 1/2" or 1 5/8" long pan head machine screw.

Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
With a quick search all I was able to find was long screw blanks, And a 1/4-32 die from Brownells. For About $18 you could make a few.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I saw the screw blanks but didn't think of getting the die and doing it myself for a one-time need.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Yeah it is pricy for a one time shot but if you have no other options $18 is still not too bad.

Then you'l have a die if you ever need to clean up a thread in the future

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
True enough.

Thanks again,
George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might check with Weibe or Wisner. They probably both have them.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might check with the stock manufacturer. I recently used a Bell & Carlson stock on a Remington tactial build I just finished for my son. They said in the papers that came with the stock that they could supply longer action screws if they were needed.

Mark
Acts 4:12-13;Romans 8:29

Posts: 47 | Location: Yellville, AR | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Cut 2 screws and tig together for longer one.
Keep in mind I did not say it was a good idea.

Luck,

Stephen

Posts: 538 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: 14 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, if you use the Brownell's blanks then you might want to harden the screw afterward to avoid marring, stretching and stripping. A simple case-hardening with CaseNit and a torch is easy to do and will work fine. Be sure to do the screw head and slot too (grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
George,
If all else fails and you can't find one I will make one for you. It will be a couple of weeks as I am heading to Canada for the opening of walleye season Wed. Let me know. One other solution is to counterbore the stock a little too get the engagement you want. The screws from Browell's are for pre-64's that are a little longer than those used after 64 as I have had to cut them off. I don't remember the length and don't have one to check......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
George
Call Brownell's and ask about the Hex Head Screws for model 70's. Like tapper said, they are longer and a lot easier to work with.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you all!

George