New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith needed for refinishing and blueing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several years ago I was disking a field close to a waterway. I glanced back to see something different than the usual turned up dirt. Got out of the tractor, picked it up and discovered it was a .357 Python still in it's leg holster. I figure a trapper or hunter was walking or running and it came off without them even knowing it. I have tried several means to find the rightful owner, Sheriffs Dept. and local P.D., lost and found in the newspaper and posted at two sporting goods stores. I think it's time to do something with it.
Problem is this gun must have been sitting outside in the dirt for a couple years. Very bad surface rust and pitting. The action however is still smooth as silk and the trigger is very smooth. The cylinder is pitted on the outside but the cylinder bores look good and smooth. The actual bore looks pretty good.
My question is can anyone recommend a good gunsmith to basically look over this gun, cleanup the rust and reblue. I understand it will probably still be pitted. As long as the rust is gone is all I'm concerned with. I just want something to carry while on the tractor or out in the shop. A turn around time of a month is a must as I don't want to farting around with this for six months to a year. Any rough estimates would be greatly appreciated. I'm located in eastern Iowa.

Thanks,
Fishin' Magician

One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
Check with Craftguard in Waterloo, IA. They can handle the refinishing if no other functioning work is needed.

Craftguard

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd send it to Jim Stroh. He knows Colts well so the look over would be right and he can fix what ain't. They are tricky little buggers if timing, carry up and the like need correction. Go with a fine bead blast matte blue finish if there is pitting. Cheaper too.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GunCat: I will check out Craftgaurd, very close by.
Boxhead: Do you happen to have a location, website, phone # for Jim Stroh. Sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the responses,
Fishin' Magician