Find
Notify
Tools

More Engraving Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
Roger and others, I had my actions confused when I said I needed a recut of a Mauser Banner on the ring of two actions. I have a Standard Modell with a very light banner remaining on the ring. However, the two Mausers in question had Mauser banners on the rear bridge, which are now covered by square bridges.

Here are my questions regarding those two actions:

Can you achieve a "factory look" banner on the front ring, with engraving or etching?

Or, what are everyone's thoughts on re-creating the old Rigby or H&H look by engraving in large letters on top of the front ring,

HOLLAND'S
SUPER

and

HOLLAND'S
MAGNUM

The rifles will be an (almost) matched pair of very traditional looking rifles. I like the looks of those type markings on original Rigby and H&H rifles, but I'm undecided if I want to "fake it" on these two.

Anybody care to offer their opinions?

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest, let me speak for Roger, although I am sure he will come on here. He can do anything that is can be done with engraving and do it at a level that is astounding. He is a very gifted indivual and his work is as good as I have seen. There are some pretty fantastic engravers each year at Reno and his work is among the best. He is a former member of FEGA but for reasons of his own, no longer belongs.

Sometimes reproducing what looks like original work that should show the years takes more skill than making it look like it is bright and fresh. The work I have seen of his was the knock your socks off type of stuff but I am sure he can do anything you ask.

Okay I sound like a cheer leader, lol. I am not his PR man, just an old friend who appreciates his skills and his work.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Forrest I know you from the Houston shows & that you want it done for your own personal satisfaction but we must bare in mind the potential problems concerning authenticity that could lay ahead after the rifle passes from your posession. I mean no disrespect here just conserns from a Mauser collector.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Wow! This is pretty heady stuff. First of all, thanks to Chic for his response. That means a lot coming from a craftsman like yourself.

Secondly, to ForrestB, I can letter your actions on the receiver ring.

And lastly, to DHumbarger, let me assuage your fears in regards to forging rifles into something they are not. ForrestB originally requested an engraver with the ability to restore an "original" Mauser banner that had been thinned due to a restoration. As far as lettering a caliber designation onto the receiver ring like Rigby did does not make it a Rigby anymore than lettering the caliber on the barrel makes it a Purdey, or a Winchester for that matter.

I am not in the business of forgery. If anybody is looking for that type of work, look some place else. I'll turn you off like a water faucet.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Nobody is going to confuse these rifles with an original H&H or Rigby, they'll be much nicer. [Big Grin]

Doug, I know where you are coming from and my question was rooted in those same sensitivities. The actions are Chilean Mausers marked Oberndorf. I had them square-brideged, and they'll have Blackburn bottom metal and octagon barrels with full-length integral ribs. So, they certainly won't be mistaken for original pre-war sporters.

My concern is, is it akin to putting curb-feelers on a Cadillac to freshly engrave such old fashioned markings?

Roger, I have a custom mauser that I had engraved by a Brit who worked a long time for Purdy. Another collector saw the rifle and said it looked just like a Purdy shotgun, I don't think that made it a Purdy shotgun. [Big Grin]

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
ForrestB

Just a note to say that I hadn't assumed that you where trying to forge anything. Just figured you wanted your rifles to look the way that you envisioned them.

I was speaking to the "You can't do that" crowd. They believe that you shouldn't do anything to an original gun, no matter the condition. Or, you can't do that, it will make it look like an original gun.

The point I was trying to make was that I am not in the business of faking firearms. I'm too busy making a living as a gun engraver.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Roger- I'm also impressed by your engraving abilities. I have a couple rifles "in the works" that will need calibers, serial number, maker name, etc. engraved in classic English or Continental style lettering that I will send you when I get to that point.

I have also considered the idea of engraving a Mauser action similar to an original Oberndorf sporter, but like Forrest B. said, only better, and perhaps with some of my own artistic ideas thrown in, such that no one will confuse it with or claim that it is a factory original.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Forrest Nicer is better [Big Grin] I hope to see it at the Houston show after your finished with it.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind that the original Mauser commercial 98's did not have a banner on the front ring. They were lightly checked/stippled with a space on the lower left side for the serial number. Unfortunately (for collectors), this is rather easily duplicated.
 -
 -
The top one is an obvious copy, (indicated by a duplicate space on the right side, which the originals did not have).

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
ForrestB-

Any chance of some photos of the Squared bridged Chilean mauser actions??

KurtC-

Nice pics. About the Mauser Banner on the front ring, in Speeds bible on mausers he shows some variations with the mauser banner and the "WFM" marking and date.
Thanks,
Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, the "Banner" models were military configuration rifles, meant for civilian sales. These were usually high polish blue, nice wood, etc.

I have also heard that actions sold to custom shops would often be marked that way.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Manhasset-
Give me a day or two and I think I can get a picture posted. The actions are with the gunbuilder, so I'll have to contact him for some pics.

<manhasset>
posted
Forrest,
Thank you, there is no rush. At your convenience.
Bob

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bob, here are two pics of the actions.

-

[ 08-13-2003, 07:17: Message edited by: ForrestB ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forrest is Duane doing those? There a handful of people who are on the top of the list for my viewing each year at Reno. Steve Heilman heading the list and Duane right behind him.

[ 08-13-2003, 20:03: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<manhasset>
posted
Thank you Forrest, they look great. Should turn out a fine pair. A Mauser banner on the front ring would be the icing on the cake. I would also be intrested in the maker.
Bob

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Bob, as Chic guessed, Duane Wiebe is building these rifles. Chic, I agree with you on your assessment of Steve - he's a master. I wish I had the money and patience it takes to put him to work. Duane has more of a working-gun look to his work, and I'm really partial to that.

Duane and I have become friends in the course of working together, mostly due to the fact he will spend countless hours educating me. I try to include something extra for "telephone time" when it comes time to pay him. I always have to buy my friends [Big Grin]

Duane's coming to Tanzania with me in October and has his mind set on killing a buffalo. He built a take-down 500 Jeffrey just for the trip. Duane made a big mistake though. He showed me how fast he could work when he sets his mind to it. It took him about six weeks to build the rifle. One of our forum members, Loud-n-boomer, has been doing some of the test firing.

Here's another pic of the bridgework, as well as Duane's buffalo big bore.

-