Find
Notify
Tools

Windows XP Home problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gentlemen:
This is not gun-related, but there is such knowledge here I think I'll ask anyway. How do I get my icons in my Start menu and in the Control Panel back to the smaller size? I downloaded a wallpaper, didn't like it and while trying to trash it, I changed my icon size and now I can't get the small ones back. Also, how do I delete downloaded screensavers and wallpapers? Highlighting and hitting Del doesn't seem to do it. My apologies for mucking up this space with topics not exactly in the correct vein.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of steve65
posted Hide Post
Ok Rootbeer right click on the desktop click properties then settings then change screen resolution usually to 1024x768 then advanced monitor then change your screen refresh rate to the highest it will handle 15inch 75hertz 17 and above 85hertz.
Cheers
Steve

Posts: 125 | Location: malmsbury,vic,australia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
You can manually adjust icons size, and spacing.
Same thing, right click on the desktop
Display properties/apearance/advanced

Use the pull down menu to select the Icon changes you want to make. Many other settings available.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
I have a better solution:

format C:\

[Big Grin]

[ 06-06-2003, 17:14: Message edited by: alvinmack ]

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
You've already gotten enough advice on your icon problem, but if you want to remove your screen savers or wall papers that were downloaded, go to the control panel and click "add or remove programs". Find the program that matches up and remove it. Do not try to delete the icons or program executables until you've done this. You may still have some residule icons left over that lead to nowhere when you get done. All you have to do then is simply delete them off of your desktop.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
Alvin C;
I don't know you and I'm pretty sure I would not wish to but it is dispicable to offer crap like "Format C:\" when some one in good faith ask for help. I would ask if you REALLY know what happens if you run "Format C:|" - and if you do then you are truly beneath contempt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapper:
I don't know a whole lot about computers, but I do know that when you format a disk, everything on it is gone. Your statement to alvinmack who suggested I format my hard drive is spot on. May he have trouble shooting groups under 6" at 50 yds for an indeterminate period of time and may everything he tries to correct it fail abysmally. May his frustration know no end until he comes to the conclusion that absurd, inane, negative or nasty responses to sincere questions are neither solicited nor welcomed. Thank You, gentlemen for your help. Four intelligent responses should be enough.

[ 06-21-2003, 18:32: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
Apologies, as I was being sarcastic. However I never even told you how to get into DOS mode to do so. And that is something you couldnt even do inside of windows anyways.

[ 06-06-2003, 23:04: Message edited by: alvinmack ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
al:
1: Learn to spell;
2: Seek anger management counseling.

I debated as to whether or not to respond to your "post." Usually I prefer not to dignify an insult or insensitive comment with a response, but in your case, I'm making an exception. My wish that you experience inaccuracy difficulties was also a sarcastic comment. It should have collapsed then and there, but you chose to escalate the debate with a truly vicious response. I have read many, many of the posts here, and never before reading yours have I seen anything vindictive, vicious, rude, obnoxious, or otherwise objectionable. Maybe I am naive, but I have thought for a long time that "gun folks" were by and large good people. You've exploded that idea, but there are so many more unlike you that I shall go on believing so and reading the posts. Thank You for showing all of us who you really are.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, let's put an end to this topic. The last thing we want is for the opposition (the Democrats, gun-grabbers and freedom-haters) to be reading these pages and gathering further "evidence" that "gun people" are hicks, rednecks, illiterate, uneducated, et cetera. Let's keep things polite, professional and G-rated.

one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to look where I misspelled anything. However I didn't use appropriate things like periods, and commas. Beyond that still looking for what I misspelled. [Eek!]

However I for one laugh at the self righteous attitude and trying to pigeon hole me into something I'm not. Pal, you don't know me. So please stick to being a Truck driver. I will stick to being a Network Analyst. And leave the Psychoanalysis up to Freud.

Good day as I'm truely sorry for what I said to offend you. Just a bad day working fo the man, you know how it goes

-Mike [Smile]

[ 06-06-2003, 23:30: Message edited by: alvinmack ]

<'Trapper'>
posted
Al, I'll stick one final comment in here and be gone. As for being a truck driver, I've no problems with those that do but for your information, I'm a retired auditor now working as a consultant with the aviation field, specializing in SAP applications - any of that sound familiar? [Mad]
And every day I see where some jug head has either done something like you suggested or caused someone else to do so. And that is why I see red when someone even suggests such a thing. In no way can I see any humor in same.
So now you know.
[Confused]
Regards,

one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone...
All I wanted was a few pointers from all you good folks out there about how to fix a screw-up that for most of you is simple. I like to set my machine to where I like it and leave it that way. It might stay unchanged for so long I forget how to make another change. I decided to go crazy and download a screensaver, discovered I didn't like it and in the process of trying to get rid of it, I screwed up the size of my icons. I have seen how there are so many knowledgeable people in this space, I am sure someone knew how to help me. Things may have gotten a little out of hand, but we are all adults here. I consider the topic closed for good and will happily continue to read and post. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Heh Heh......

I experience both computer and accuracy problems.

Allegedly I should know something about both.......if a 30+ year history is any indicator.

[Smile]

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think some people need to lighten up just a bit, or a lot. No one, even totally stupid would format the hard drive and in fact can not from the instructions. Are we a bit stressed out today? Take a big chill pill Trapper. Do I remember that the definition of an auditor is a person who comes in after the battle to bayonet the survivors?

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Geewillackers Mike! - slow Friday afternoon is it? LOL .....

Listen you paranoid individuals...Format C:\ can only be run from native DOS. I just tried this on my Win2K office machine. If you open a dos window you still cannot execute this command because windows is still running the background. You have to shut down the computer and re-boot with a DOS disk. THEN! you can execute the above command and it will warn you that all data on the hard drive will be erased. It asks you if you are sure you want to proceed. It was a harmless joke.

Go have a beer...have two.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been reading the whole thing, and agree with Bill, I should have a few beers, 2 or 6. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
Everything is okay. I did what was suggested by one wise and knowledgeable sage and everything is returned to the way I had it and liked it. I even got a wild hair and took another swipe at downloading yet another wallpaper and screensaver and yowza!-- everything worked out just fine. Who would have imagined that something so far from guns would have generated more than a dozen responses? Enough, already! Let's move on to something really important, like "would another .01 grains of powder increase accuracy?" Bush-Cheney 2004!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jonh Y Cannuck:
Emigrate to America! We are always looking for good people who aren't afraid of the hard work it will require to become whatever they want to be. Call me a flag-waver, but I've seen alot of the rest of the world and there is no place like America. Anybody willing to work can fly as far, as fast and as high as they want in this country. The problem is that when you finally reach your desired height, you'll find Ted Kennedy there with his hand in your pocket. With a little luck and a good voter turn-out in 2004, we can begin to change that.

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Hey we can be whatever we want to be too, except maybe if you want to be a non-Liberal Gun Loving Prime Minister!
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Y,
If a man is without all his freedoms, he is with none. No Founding Father said that. I said it, just now.

[ 06-14-2003, 23:56: Message edited by: rootbeer ]