New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lothar Walther Mauser barrel profile question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 30-06 Mark X mauser I just bought to make into a 9.3x62. LW sells drop-in barrels, they give the diameters at the chamber, the end of the taper, and the muzzle, but they do not tell how long the chamber portion, the transition radius, or the straight taper sections are.

I want to make sure the barrel I get does not leave excessive stock gap. I am looking at the 720, 722, and 724 barrels. I hope the 720 will work.

If anybody has those measurements or one of those barrels to measure, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I have a 722 fitted to a Mk X. I can get you a pic of the barrel in the original stock.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
I have a 722 fitted to a Mk X. I can get you a pic of the barrel in the original stock.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make 100's of contours...but if you're asking the length (max) of cylinderical portion in front of the action, just subtract .625 -+ from given cylinder measurement.

Commonly, 98's will have that .625 (+-) thread length.

Or...many barrel makers will duplicate your existing contour as well as some gunsmiths

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Has no one thought about just calling them?

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or email, they respond pretty quickly.

Posts: 426 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Has no one thought about just calling them?

Yes I did. Those barrels are made in Germany, so the helpful person I spoke to said he didn't have that info, but he would ask somebody else and get back to me. So I am waiting on that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by setters5:
Or email, they respond pretty quickly.

Their website has been down for days it only came back up today and the contact page is not working, so yes I tried that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
They make 100's of contours...but if you're asking the length (max) of cylinderical portion in front of the action, just subtract .625 -+ from given cylinder measurement.

Or...many barrel makers will duplicate your existing contour as well as some gunsmiths

The length of the cylindrical portion is not given on their drop-in Mauser barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a #718 in 9.3 that measures 40mm.

Posts: 631 | Location: Australia | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All this is why I won't use any barrel but Douglas. Too much drama for a simple dimension.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Here's the pic:

Sorry, got in late. Couldn't dig out my Calipers to measure tonight but this pic should help. Top is a 23.6" Mk X bbl, bottom is an Art 722 bbl.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Here's the pic:

Sorry, got in late. Couldn't dig out my Calipers to measure tonight but this pic should help. Top is a 23.6" Mk X bbl, bottom is an Art 722 bbl.

Thank you very much.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:

The length of the cylindrical portion is not given on their drop-in Mauser barrels.

The way I read it...They show dop in's for some makes of rifle...Mark X is not one of them.

The "drop in" Mauser Sporter barrels ( in my opinion) shold be labeled "Threaded and chambered sporter barrels for 98 Mauser"

Yeah..long winded....However, these pre threaded and chambered barrels are (I'd bet) simply the barrel conrours listed in their catalog...that have been threaded and chambered and crowned.

The oldest barrel makeer in the world would have more sense than to make up special contours for a threaded and chambered line of barrels

If I'm wrong,I owe you a big mac and fries..

Posts: 3504 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:

The way I read it...They show drop in's for some makes of rifle...Mark X is not one of them.

The "drop in" Mauser Sporter barrels ( in my opinion) shold be labeled "Threaded and chambered sporter barrels for 98 Mauser"

Yeah..long winded....However, these pre threaded and chambered barrels are (I'd bet) simply the barrel conrours listed in their catalog...that have been threaded and chambered and crowned.

The oldest barrel maker in the world would have more sense than to make up special contours for a threaded and chambered line of barrels

If I'm wrong,I owe you a big mac and fries..

Oh I am certain you are right. Those barrels are made in Germany, so maybe they drop in to Mausers popular in Germany. The Mk X was made in Yugoslavia.

I just don't understand why they have incomplete info for the one product line, but such great detailed specs for the rest of their product line.

Anyways, judging from Z1R's picture, looks close enough. If I have to shim a bit of the barrel channel, so be it. This is a used rifle and I am not refinishing the stock, the shimming should not be obvious.

The barrel on this Mk X has a chamber portion 1.6" long, the radius transition is about 2" long, and the straight taper portion begins abut 3.6" from the receiver, at 0.825" dia. The muzzle is 0.555" so no rebore, that is thinner than I care to go.

Thank you all again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your not talking a full blown custom, just a decent hunting rifle is your goal as I read your post..so simplify your post. REBORE and rechamber is your best bet and much cheaper..???it fits your stock..!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Your not talking a full blown custom, just a decent hunting rifle is your goal as I read your post..so simplify your post. REBORE and rechamber is your best bet and much cheaper..???it fits your stock..!!

I did think about that. But, a rebore would have left a 0.565" muzzle, a bit thinner than I like with a 0.366 hole in it. So I ordered a LW barrel, will see what it looks like. Muzzle on that will be 0.650".

A rebore is $300 plus shipping to the shop. The LW barrel was $322 plus tax and shipping, $357 shipped, close to a wash, to I went with a new barrel. Now all I need is to rent some HS gages and install it, and relieve the barrel channel and bed it. Maybe add a recoil pad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always went a tad oversized barrel and take the gap out with inletting, to get a perfect fit..On a mark X original stock, Id slightly undercut the sides and glass bed to not show..just saying! Makes a nice using rifle.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote