Notify
Tools

Stuck choke tube removal?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi everybody,
Is there a prefered method for getting a stuck choke tube out if the tube wrench won't budge it?
It's an over/under if that makes any difference.
It's already been soaked with penetrating oil many times.
I'm wondering if some light heat from a propane torch might help things to break loose?

Any suggestions?
TIA

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes, the skillful application of heat would be good. Actually that would be my first move followed by penetrating oil. But, yes, try some heat. Heat one side.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a socket wrench is put a a rotary table on the mill table, and the outline of a choke wrench is cut, the wrench will fit on a rotary hammer air tool.

The Kroil and heat help, but the air tool gets it done in a second.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
Yes, the skillful application of heat would be good. Actually that would be my first move followed by penetrating oil. But, yes, try some heat. Heat one side.

And, if that don't work you may have to bore it out, carefully so as not to get into the barrel threads. I have done 3-4 in the past.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One method that works well for me is to put the wrench in your vise and turn the barrel. It allows you to get a better grip, lean into it harder to keep it from slipping and you can get more torque gripping the barrel than you can that little wrench. Needless to say, the vise needs to be solid. You don't want to be chasing your workbench around.

It sounds like nothing, but it helps me to get out tubes that refuse other tactics.

Mark Pursell

Posts: 544 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: 21 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be VERY careful (like don't use) with heat on an over/under. Those barrels are often soft soldered together.

Posts: 569 | Location: Escaped to Montana  | Registered: 01 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would try leaving the barrels in the freezer overnight...or longer. Then take them out and pour boiling water all around the OUTSIDE of the muzzle.

It may be that if you are quick the barrels will expand quicker than the choke tube and you can then unscrew it.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that used his shotgun barrel as a funnel to pour gas in his truck, put the barrel behind seat, forgot about it hunting season. The choke tubes was stuck, soaked for a couple of days, I have a easy out that Brownells sold at one time put it and gently turned it out did not hurt the tube just cleaned it up and lubed put back in the barrel and he still using it today.

Posts: 369 | Location: lee' summit missouri | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I worked a Gander Mountain, we must have received a hundred of these within a couple years...Don't know what's so hard about applying lube...but we just wound them out with an easy out,,,screw the tube!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
brownells sells a great tool designed for just this job, it does destroy the tube though.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine bought a shotgun cheap that had a stuck choke tube. He filled a small can with Kroil and stuck the barrel muzzle down into the can and let it sit for a week soaking in the Kroil. Tube came out after that.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's a good idea to grease the chokes when you put them in the shotgun. That keeps them from stick, for me. I use Militec grease.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote