Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 70 post64 trigger shape?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted
Was there a design difference between a post64 Model 70 and a Post 64 Model 70 MOA trigger?

I bought the "correct" Hogue stock for my Post64 LA Model 70 but it doesn't fit. It looks like the MOA Trigger is too long to fit inside the full length bedding block.

Trying to decide whether to try a Timney or Jewell that may be a different shape or get the Dremel out

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Correct. They are not the same.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The person who changed the Model 70 trigger should be made to swallow the abomination that resulted. Why on Earth would you change the best, simplest, easiest to make, and easiest to adjust, trigger ever made. It happened relatively recently when they went to SC or Portugal, or something.

Posts: 17256 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
The person who changed the Model 70 trigger should be made to swallow the abomination that resulted. Why on Earth would you change the best, simplest, easiest to make, and easiest to adjust, trigger ever made. It happened relatively recently when they went to SC or Portugal, or something.

Totally agree—-they destroyed what I believe to be the single best part of the Model 70, and the single best trigger ever devised.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2942 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my standpoint the original Model 70 trigger, or rifles like the Dakota that copied it; cannot be beat for a hunting rifle for the reasons noted and the fact it is not affected by dust. I have had several modern triggers have developed weird pulls or totally lock up due to dust.

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am definitely in the minority in that I have always felt the Model 70 trigger was imperfect.
The original trigger was a decent design but it was not the finest trigger ever built. The angled contact surface between the cocking piece and sear is not a good design feature. It wasn't good on the Model 700 or the Sako rifle either. The trigger system took up a lot of space. In my opinion, the moa trigger is not a bad trigger though it could use some adjustment screws.
Having said this, I would never replace an old Model 70 trigger because they are a trigger which can be tuned and work very well. They just aren't perfect. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3732 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Don't understand any of that. The angled contact surface is how it works; never caused me any issues and I have owned at least 30 of them. And it definitely is not bigger than any stamped box trigger design.
Sorry. They are perfect.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The angled contact surface lifts the bolt out of alignment. I have always considered it to be a less-than-ideal aspect of the design. It's not good on a Remington or any of the clones.I suppose one can dispute this but not without ignoring cause and effect. Likewise, the trigger pieces could have been more compact. It's not outrageously big but does use up more bedding surface than it would have had to. Another flaw is that the trigger is hinged at the top with all of the weight of the trigger there to provide inertia to fire the rifle if the butt hits the ground. I know this is, in reality, not a real issue. If you don't pound your rifle on the ground while looking down the barrel, it's not a problem. Still, the design feature and it's effect does exist.
I know it is considered sacrilege to criticize the Model 70 but there is nothing wrong with seeing a deficiency where it exists.
In truth, I think the very BEST trigger for a field rifle is the 2 stage Mauser trigger. I think the second best is the original Model 70 trigger. As a trigger for a precision rifle, neither design is ideal but the Model can work remarkably well, especially if some of the issues are addressed.
My initial point was that the MOA trigger, for all the invective hurled at it, is not that bad a design. It addresses a couple of the perceived shortcomings of the original (vertical sear face, balance trigger lever) without adding undue complexity. Plainly, you disagree and that's OK.
I really like my Model 70's and have hunting and target rifles built on those actions and using the original triggers. I just don't worship them! Regards, Bill

Posts: 3732 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses everyone!

Got the Dremel out and clearanced the trigger opening on the full length bedding block and got it to work! Just remove a little bit at a time and keep checking to see when she fits in there correct.

So anyone wanting to use one of these stocks on an MOA Winchester rifle....it'll take a little bit of grinding but it fits nice!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Model 70 PRE64 trigger for its simplicity, but the new trigger is just fine unless something inside the box goes hey wire.

One of my rifles with a PRE64 trigger is a horrible trigger. My other four PRE64 triggers are awesome. My two US FN SC rifles triggers are very good.

The USRA classics had PRE64 trigger.

Posts: 11888 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It just needs adjusting, which is very easy to do. That trigger is perfect in every way. So what if it pushes the bolt upward? They don't use them for bench rest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey DPCD, my one bad pre74 trigger is very mush with lots of over travel. There is almost no back wall. Van this trigger be corrected without changing the trigger entirely?

Posts: 11888 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote