Find
Notify
Tools

Help needed with old scope.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys

Can anyone tell me what the various screws and dials on the tube of this old scope do?

How does one adjust focus, reticle (sighting in)etc?

Does anyone recondition old scopes like this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a typical older European scope with elevation adjustment in the scope and windage in the mounts. Loosen the little brass screw on the outside then move the round dial in the middle. Do this while looking through the scope and you can see the post (or crosswire) move up and down. For focus try loosening the screw by the eyepeice and rotate the eyepeice.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your scope is internally adjustable for elevation only, any required windage adjustment should be made in the mount itself or its attachment to the rifle. Examples would be moving a dovetail to one side or the other, or shimming the base.

The elevation is adjusted by first loosening the horizontal lock screw that points to the rear and then turning the dial until the shots are zeroed, then tightening the lock screw once more.

Reticle focus is adjusted via some sort of lock arrangement on or near the eyepiece that allows it to move fore-&-aft, possibly the screw I see peeping over the top of the scope's barrel.

Parallax can usually be adjusted by loosening a screw or screws at or around the middle of the scope's barrel, allowing the fore-&-aft movement of an internal lens assembly. In some hunting scopes, notably the Weavers, the entire turret assembly is movable to adjust the parallax. In other scopes, notably many if not most target models, the objective lens contains the parallax adjustment.
HTH, regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael and Joe

Thanks to you guys I had the confidence to play around with this old scope and here is what I discovered -

Focussing is achieved by loosening the little brass knob with the holes in it, and moving it and the brass plate left or right. The slot for that screw is on about a 45 degree angle to the scope tube so when it's adjusted it screws the focussing body inside the tube in or out. I was amazed at just how clear and "in focus" I could adjust it.

The little screw near the eye piece appears to have no function.

My next task will be to try to sight her in using the info you guys supplied for windage and elevation (yes the windage adjustment is in the foot of the rear mount). I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks once again.

Cheers.

GG

Posts: 500 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote