New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mesquite for stock wood?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been cutting mesquite smoker wood and some of the trees are plenty big enough to cut into stock blanks. This is your regular Texas mesquite.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
When I was in gunsmithing school Roy Weatherby came by and gave everyone a turned inleted stock from back of his stationwagon. I took a beautiful mesquite blank with contrasting tip and gripcap with white holly spacers. Typical Weatherby stock. Finished it up for an FN action and don't remember the caliber. Made up into a nice rifle. If memory serves me it worked very nicely but was rather open grain but filled and finished ok. We used a concoction of boiled linseed oil,O'Ceder furniture polish and shellac that they called French Polish. Actually was a pretty nice finish. Only mesquite I've ever made into a stock, but it was a Weatherby option obviously as these were all factory seconds I suppose. They make a LOT of fine furniture here in Arizona from mesquite and I have a friend who turns lamps of it for big dollars especially ones from Burls.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Don Dobbratz of Telferner, TX (Victoria) has alot of Texas mesquite blanks and has made alot of nice stocks with it. Don is as fine a stockmaker as there is.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest,

Have you stocked any rifles in Mesquite, I would like to see one. I spoke Don a few yrs back, but have never been to his shop.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Don Dobbratz and I were at Trinidad at same time. He probably got one of the Weatherby stocks also.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there someplace where one can purchase mesquite blanks, or lumber that is suitable for stocks? I am still looking. Thanks.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Great American Gunstocks turns them from time to time. They would sell you a blank, maybe. Or tell where to find one. Most of the really nice screwbean mesquite big enough for stocks comes out of Mexico.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Didn't Harry Lawson use Mesquite for his thumbhole stocks?

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a highly figured Mesquite blank that is now at Don Burkhart's shop being turning into a stock for my Montana rifle/action.

Good Mesquite blanks are often more expensive than good English walnut.

Finding a nicely figured blank that doesn't have bore holes (from insects) in critical places is the tricky part, and a lot of trees have to be cut through to find it.

Woodworkers like Mesquite because it is one of a few woods that you can cut into a block or shape, submerge completely underwater, and it's size and shape will change only minimally....it's relatively weatherproof.

It's denser and heavier than walnut, so perhaps it's better suited for your 458 Lott rather than your 22 Hornet.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote