THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Best "lube" for browning Bar action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kraky, Take this for what it's worth... One of my Friends sons is currently a loggie serving in Iraq. He said they their division finally found a lube that gave them near zero malfunctions with all of their weapons - The Aviation version of Corrosion-X. He said that they were hoarding all they could come across.
I personally have had good luck with FP-10 and Mil-tech..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A dentist I know has had a BAR in 7mm Rem Mag for twenty five years. He said it used to be a good gun, but now it was real sluggish in the cold. You guessed it, he had not cleaned it in twenty two years (at the time). I pulled it apart and cleaned off a lot of caked on gunk. I took all the cleaned and degreased pieces and heated them up to about 150 degrees. As they cooled I rubbed on two coats of Tef-Dri by Bore Tech. That has worked pretty well. It doesn't seem to attract as much gunk.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use the Corrosion X for my big (read $$$) saltwater rigs that I use for tuna and wahoo. I don't think that there's anything better for saltwater corrosion resistance. The only problem I see with it is that it stinks to high heaven.

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
I've been using a cleaner & lube called Prolix. It is really wonderful, and according to their literature, it leave a thin, molecular level coating. I use it to clean the barrel and the action, and then just wipe of the excess. It is not oily and does now attract dirty or powder. It does not remove heavy copper fouling, but you will notice that after shooting after cleaning with Prolix, the powder, lead, or copper fouling is drmatically reduced. I still have to use Butch's Bore Shine to remove the heavy stuff, but then run one wet patch of Prolix followed by a dry patch.

You can't buy Prolix from any of the major shooting supply houses, but it you go a search on google for "Prolix Rifle Cleaning", several sources will come up. I buy mine from GNC sales.

Good luck,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote