Scope Mounting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted
Or rather, how not to:

See the ad here.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I've seen birds intentionally fly like that so as not to shit on someone they didn't like. Big Grin What was the guy's complaint?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Toooo funny!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh too hard. Not long ago, I had a fellow on the range that had his scope turned so that the windage was on top and the elevation on the left side. ( All just 1/4 turn off). He sure was having a tough time getting it zeroed, so I helped him turn it right side up, and soon he was a happy camper.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The scary thing is, at one of the shops I smith for, the former, emphasis on FORMER, gunsmith mounted a scope so that the elevation turret was on the left side and the windage was on top. Only 90 degrees out in that case, lol. Pointing that out was enough to get me the shop owner's business.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Someone put a mount on a Garrand and turned the Leupold 3x9x50 90 degrees to the left so that the adjustment knobs were on the left and on top.

The guy that did it did not know if it was going to work, but it did.

The cases ejected up, so the knob on the offset to the left scope could not be over the clip.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by z1r:
Or rather, how not to:

See the ad here.

Not so fast, Kemosabe. That rifle is obviously made to shoot sub-equitoral game! Probably has a left-hand twist as well...

Also an excellent use of the rear ring to add some drag to the power ring!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That fellow could also be a trick shot and shoots his rifle upside down. Smiler

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Here's a better one. I really like the stock. Looks great! thumb I got this picture from a post here on AR. The scope mounting is priceless.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Holy Crap! LMFAO........ lol

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Didn't the caption read, "Only fired once"?

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Okay...I have to make a confession here. I have seen the photo that James posted before....missed the scope on backwards. I ask my wife to look at the photo just this minute and to tell me what was wrong. Took her all of 2 seconds to see it. Sheesh..... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redfield mounted mounted with the elevation turret 180 out is a bit odd! Eeker However, as tnekcc noted sometimes a 90 degree rotation can work. On my TRG-S Lapua with a Leup 2.5-8 on low rings the windage turret wouldn't allow empties to be ejected properly. You would cycle the bolt and the brass would hit the turret and most of the time flop back into the action...not a good thing. I tried rotating the scope 90 degrees and it worked. Now brass ejects fine but you have to keep sharp when making adjustments sighting in! I like the low mounts to keep the scope as low of profile as possible for a scabbard rifle. It works but is not ideal.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
Don't laugh too hard. Not long ago, I had a fellow on the range that had his scope turned so that the windage was on top and the elevation on the left side. ( All just 1/4 turn off). He sure was having a tough time getting it zeroed, so I helped him turn it right side up, and soon he was a happy camper.

Hey, you all! Did it ever occur to you that perhaps a relatively intelligent person might have mounted the scope that way for a reason??

I have mounted a number of scopes on bolt action rifles that way ON PURPOSE!!

The reason is to get the adjustment turret and knobs out of the way of inserting cartridges into the magazine. When zeroing, all you have to do is remember that for elevation, "R" is "UP", and for windage, U" is "left, and vice-versa. This is not too complex a mental process! Of course, it can only be done with a symmetrical reticle like plain crosshairs, duplex, etc. I have also seen a scope with a post reticle mounted upside down so the post could be used to accurately judge hold over at extended ranges by allowing space between the post and the target. However, the one scope I saw mounted this way was a German scope on a German rifle with external mount-located adjustments.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:

Hey, you all! Did it ever occur to you that perhaps a relatively intelligent person might have mounted the scope that way for a reason??

I have mounted a number of scopes on bolt action rifles that way ON PURPOSE!!

The reason is to get the adjustment turret and knobs out of the way of inserting cartridges into the magazine. When zeroing, all you have to do is remember that for elevation, "R" is "UP", and for windage, U" is "left, and vice-versa. This is not too complex a mental process! Of course, it can only be done with a symmetrical reticle like plain crosshairs, duplex, etc. I have also seen a scope with a post reticle mounted upside down so the post could be used to accurately judge hold over at extended ranges by allowing space between the post and the target. However, the one scope I saw mounted this way was a German scope on a German rifle with external mount-located adjustments.....

If the guy had been relatively intelligent I might have considered it was on purpose.

In the case of the scope mounted in reverse, even if he was highly intelligent, it still woulda been kinda hard to see through, don't you think? Big Grin

Aut vincere aut mori

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you guys are talking about....I always mount my scopes with the objective towards my eye.

That way, the deer are always much, much bigger after I shoot them!
(No more ground shrinkage)

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote