New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, another "what to build" post...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know, it's been asked before. But, I'm bored, and genuinely don't know what to build...

I just picked up a Rem M700 magnum action. I didn't have anything specifically in mind for it when I got it.

I already have a 264 Win Mag, and an 8mm Rem Mag, in the "magnum" line. I have a 30-06 & a 338-06, so I don't really feel a need for a 300 Win Mag or 338 Win Mag. Don't see a need for a 7mm Rem Mag either, as I've got it "surrounded". I'm not a speed freak, so the 7mm STW & stuff like it don't really hold an interest either.

Is it time for something bigger? Realistically, I'll never go to Africa, but have hopes of Alaska sometime. Otherwise, no, I can't justify a "need" for this thing, just looking for something to build & fun to shoot.

Give me your thoughts & ideas. SOMETHING is gonna get built on this thing....

<9.3x62>
posted
1) 7x61 Sharp and Hart (Super if you want). 280 AI+ numbers but kind of cool.

2) 300 H&H - a timeless classic, even for us non-speed freaks, but my require some rail work (?)

3) 358 Norma - great for AK if and when you get there

Watch out for all the anti 700 folks on anything larger than the 7x61...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,

Have you considered the 375RUM?
My brother has one and it is awesome on paper and at the range. Can't wait to see the results on game.
Best of luck with your decision. Its always tough deciding which new gun to buy/build.

Jeff

Posts: 192 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: 06 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 H&H.
The first and greatest magnum caliber in the world.
It is nasty enough for anything in North America, yet with lead bullets, kicks like a pussycat and can be cheap to shoot.
I have a couple, and boy let me tell you, if you want something big, or you are a fan of magnum stuff, you should have a 375 H&H.

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
How about a .416 Taylor? 400gr. bullets at 2000fps for North America, drive them at 2300fps or so for Africa.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Three Seven Five H+H.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a wildcat in .338-404?

A .404 case and .338 bullets, and you can see some of the loading data for it in "accuratereloading.com."

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well ,everyone (myself included) seems to have a 458 Lott or is getting one ,so how about moving up to a 505Gibbs.
Not many of them around yet ,until CZ starts to make them.
The best thing about a 375 is that they can be necked down to make a 300 weatherby (top plains game cartridge) or necked up to make a 458 Lott(top dangerous game cartridge).OK ,let the flames roll in.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Remington isn't suitable for a biggame rifle, sell it and by a Win Model 70, or M98 Mauser!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I think that everyone needs a .375 H&H.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

AD

=========================================================

While I agree as the .375 H&H is the stuff dreams are made of I don't see a Remington 700 as a desirable DGR rifle for many reasons.

I would sell the action and find a better design.

The more I look at the M70 Classic action the better I like them. Allen has pointed this out long ago.

I bought one in the Supergrade version used for only $525. This is close to a custom rifle. You should see it. I will post some pictures if I get a chance.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I bought one in the Supergrade version used for only $525. This is close to a custom rifle. You should see it. I will post some pictures if I get a chance.

WOW, good find. I recently paid that much for a regular classic sporter, .300 Wby.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make whatever you want, disregard the comments about it not being desireable as not CRF. if you do end up going to africa and can afford that hunt you can afford another rifle if you choose.

What about doing a large metric cartridge on that action, since i bet it is rare anybody does metric on a 700. I agree that a 505 gibbs would be great. If you can do it on a tight budget than I would do the 375, but remember that sometimes for less than you pay to have the rifle built you can buy one already in the chambering you are looking at. So for me I tend to lean towards non-factory rounds if I am going to put the money out.

And to all those who will say something about me loving Remingtons or push feeds, I don't own a Remington newer than an 03a3 and every rifle I own bigger than 22lr is CRF.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
Quote:

and every rifle I own bigger than 22lr is CRF.

Red

Ya know, Kimber makes a CRF .22 rimfire ( incase you wanted to "upgrade" )*

* Note: tongue firmly implanted in cheek

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gun cabinet without a .35 calibre isn't worth having.

There's a nice "gap" in your list that would be filled nicely with a .358 Winchester - even if it were built on a boring old bolt action.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could have a 35 ultra mag put together.

I think the push feeds will work for the 22lr, but only if I am shooting small squirrels. dangerous squirrels I would check out the kimber. ;-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Rick, that reminds me of the fact that a .358 Norma Magnum would be a truly superb, useful, and unique chambering to seriously consider.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allright, since you already have a Rem magnum action, make it a .257 Weatherby, or .270 Weatherby

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No wonder you are confused old boy, you are on the wrong side of the fence There are good choices in life...250s,270s,300s,375s,458s, and you can throw 35s in their, and there are bad choices in life... 243s,6.5s,7mms,338s,416s and you can throw 8mms in their. That ought to raise some feathers.

Looks like you will have to rid most of your battery and start over. I suggest you get the following combo... a 270 and a 375 or a 300 win mag and a 375.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
If you have long range shooting available to you 500yds. plus that could be the additional fun part you are looking for. The selection of bullets greatest to accomplish this are in the .300 cal family.Get the right twist barrel to stabelize the 220 gr. plus target bullets. Will your action support the Lapua or ultra mag.? Reaching out to touch something can be a blast. Literally and 5010 or 5020 is cheap. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

1Watch out for all the anti 700 folks on anything larger than the 7x61...

Yeah, I'm used to the anti-700 crowd on anything larger than a rimfire!

That's OK with me, more M700 actions for me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

375 H&H.
The first and greatest magnum caliber in the world.

To be honest, that was my first inclination...

I was hoping somebody might talk me into something more "exotic".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

AD

That's two votes for the 375 H&H.

And coming from Allen, it should count for an EXTRA vote.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[quoteWhile I agree as the .375 H&H is the stuff dreams are made of I don't see a Remington 700 as a desirable DGR rifle for many reasons.

Hmmm, I said Africa was out, and don't remember saying anything about DGR...

Here comes the anti-700 crowd...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

No wonder you are confused old boy, you are on the wrong side of the fence There are good choices in life...250s,270s,300s,375s,458s, and you can throw 35s in their, and there are bad choices in life... 243s,6.5s,7mms,338s,416s and you can throw 8mms in their.

Hmm, I have none of your "preferred" list, and 5 out of 8 on your "bad" list.

One of us needs to get it straight!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Looks like you will have to rid most of your battery and start over. I suggest you get the following combo... a 270 and a 375 or a 300 win mag and a 375.

I see a common theme here....

What are you getting at?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

If you have long range shooting available to you 500yds. plus that could be the additional fun part you are looking for. The selection of bullets greatest to accomplish this are in the .300 cal family.Get the right twist barrel to stabelize the 220 gr. plus target bullets.

Roger-

I "had" a "hunting" rifle in mind, but now you got me thinking...

I *LOVE* shooting 600 yard prone matches with my M70 in 308. I've been wanting to play in the 1000 yard game for a while, but didn't want to do it with my 308. Now, I may have to consider building another target rifle...

Greeeaaattt, ANOTHER angle to attack. Wooonnddeerrrful...

one of us
posted Hide Post
HA!! It doesnt matter, it just makes for good conversation.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To ALL that replied... thanks!

It's fun to see other people thinking along different lines. You guys came up with stuff I never would've thought of.

I still haven't decided, but after talking to my gunsmith buddy the other night, and explaining my dilemna to him, the first thing he said was "I've got a 375 H&H reamer sitting here...". I think that at least HE wants to go that route.

It will probably come down to that or another LR target rifle.

As cool as the 505, etc type stuff sounds, I'd have a real hard time justifying it. I'm afraid I'd never find a use for it. (Yeah, like I have a real serious use for a 375 too... )

Again, thanks for the ideas. If anyone else has one, chime in before I order a 375 bore barrel!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I haven't found the butt end of any .375 that has a lot of respect for my shoulder or in one case eyebrow. 40 years ago----no problem.I guess I've developed into a 300 pound sissy. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two or three years ago I found myself in your situation. I had a magnum 700 sitting around and I had always wanted a .375, so --.. No, it's not an approved DGR but it sure thumps deer and hogs. I've had great fun with it. And it was a first step into medium bore rifles although I have had a couple of .338's in the past. Problem is, it has led to others !!!!! Enjoy......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I know, it's been asked before. But, I'm bored, and genuinely don't know what to build...

Cold Bore,

The term "bored" is completely wrong and you should use the term "inspired" instead.

Personally, I just love reading the "what should I build" threads the most on AR and I don't think would be wrong in saying that many other members consider them among their favourite threads as well.

Please don't forget to post pictures of whatever rifle you build here as well as of game that you hunt with it.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also enjoy these posts, however it does get annoying when other 'enlightened' members post crazy ideas such as 505 Gibbs.
This is just my take but unless you are hunting the Jolly Green Giant or something, there is no practical need for something like this. Not to mention that Cold Bore stated he will never go to Africa or need a big monster caliber.
The 375 H&H is at least reloadable and you can get components etc. for it quite easily.
And as I said before I sometimes use lead bullets and it therefore becomes halfway economical to shoot.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,
Add me to the votes for a .375 H&H. I also have a reamer for a .358/278 Wby. That has always interested me and it should be a great one.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've build .264 win. mag, 7mm Rem. Mag,(4) 7mm STW,(4).30-.338,(2) .30-8mm Rem. Mag, .30-.358STA, .300 Ultra Mag,(2) .308 Baer, .30-.378 IMP.,(2) .338 Baer, .338-.378 WH,(6) .358 STA, (2) .375 H&H, .375-.358STA,(2) .375 Ultra Mag,(4) .416 Rem Mag, and .416 Ultra Mag's on Remington 700 Magnum Actions. I also have a .458 Barrel and a 6.5mm barrel that will be a Lott on a 700 SS and a 6.5STW on a Matte 700. Out of all of them I use the .375's, and .308's (which are target/long range hunting rifles) the most. I hunt everything except open country critters with the .375's but took a Kudu in Africa at 515yds with my 11lb .375-.358STA (hunter target barrel). If I enjoyed target shooting a lot I would lean towards a .300 mag of some flavor because afterall hunting season is very short compared to the rest of the year for most of us (or so it seems) . If you are into informal target shooting and want a big bore I would lean towards a .375. I have witnessed and shot some pretty impressive 500yd groups from heavy barreled .375's and .416's.

Posts: 179 | Location: Boise, ID | Registered: 16 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.375 RUM...a .375 H&H on a rem push feed sought of doe not cut it, but a rum thats alright

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, after reading some of the responses ("THE classic magnum", "everyone needs one", etc), and spending an evening BSing with my gunsmith buddy that will be doing the barrel work, it looks like a new 375 H&H is gonna find it's way into my safe!

While it still isn't a "must-have" (then again, what is?), it makes the most sense for me, for now at least...

It will be my personal intro to the world of big bores, even if it is on the bottom end of that scale.

Factory ammo is readily available, it doesn't require anything special when handloading, components & load data are everywhere, I have access to a reamer, it's a straight-forward job, etc. I don't need any extra work, and I think this round will fit in just fine...

Now, my next decision...

I just got a pretty piece of walnut from Bill Soverns. I'm debating on whether to go ahead & have someone carve it up & put the rifle in that, or to drop it into a new McMillan that's been leaning in the corner for about two years....

One way is cheaper (already paid for ) & quicker, the other route will take considerably more money & time (although time means nothing on this project), but will be "prettier". Ah, the decisions I have to endure...

Thanks for all of the input. I'll try to remember to post a pic when it's done...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do find a lot of uses for the Remington actions but if I intended to have a stockmaker like Chic or Bill work their magic I'd sure use something other than a 700....

Maybe I shouldn't have said that !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been one for synthetics.
For me, a pretty piece of wood makes a gun look really great.
I mean lets get real here, plastic is plastic, but well handled wood, that is something special.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I mean lets get real here, plastic is plastic, but well handled wood, that is something special.

You and my girlfriend seem to agree on one point, anyway.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote