New
Find
Notify
Tools

Herter's FN Mauser action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been offered a Herter's "Custom FN Mauser" action, circa 1960's, currently barreled in 270. I don't have it in hand so I can't offer any more specific information as to proof marks, etc.
Is this a good action, suitable for a custom remake, perhaps in 35 Whelen or 338-06?
Any insight as to original manufacturer and quality? Value?
Many thanks. Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1753 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
If it's a F.N. it's a good action and worthy of building on assuming it's in good shape. What kind of safety does it have? Trigger or bolt shroud? I prefer the bolt shroud left side safety myself and would not replace it if it had one.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Although it is certainly possible that Herter's used some FN Mausers to build their rifles, they more commonly used Zastavia, Spanish, or German-made Mauser-type actions (typically on the '98 pattern.) None of these actions, including the German-made one that I used to own, are up to par with an FN. Be sure of the action provenance before your purchase.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a great action, if it is indeed a Belgian-made FN. And I believe Herter's was selling FN-made barreled actions in the 1960's at the same time Sears was selling J.C. Higgnis rifles with FN actions. Except for the nostalgia aspect, I don't think there ever was a better M98-type Mauser action made than those FN's that were made after WWII, not even a pre-WWII Oberndorf sporter.....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if it stamped as a j9, it is zastava action, which is good. if it is a u9, it is a BSA, whch is evidently better. this according their catalogs during the 1960s....

if it is stamped as something else, it is probably the FN?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a J9 in 6MM Rem and it is the zastava intermediate action. It was part of a kit from Herters - you should have seen the fitting job it had when I purchased it - sold the stock and have another stock to install.
I had one BSA many years ago and it was so different that I didn't care for it and traded it pretty quick - may be a personal preference.
Also have a FN in 244 Mashburn with double set triggers - it is sweet.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i rather like my herter's j9 - it's not my intention to hijack the thread, but if anyone is looking for more information on the j9, it can be found here:

http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8...KW=herter&PN=0&TPN=1

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote