Find
Notify
Tools

30 378 Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BHW
posted
I have a very limited use for an extremely long range high powered rifle, so investing in one is maybe not the best uses of my limited resources. However, I have been thinking about having a 300 mag barrel from a T/C Pro Hunter reemed out to accept the 30 378 Weatherby. This would give me what I need plus allow me to use it with other barrels. I assume this is a viable option, but know of no gunsmith in my general geographic area (Greensboro, NC) who would be able to do this work. Any guidance on who I might contact on this would be very helpful.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the TC Pro Hunter will take that much pressure... without breaking something???

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should do a little more research into this before proceding. Some re-chambers to larger diameter, high pressure cartridges have resulted in catastrophic failures.

.338 Rum T/C Encore

.257 STW T/C Encore

The .30-378 WBY requires a significantly longer barrel to use all of the powder to the fullest extent. There are several other cartridges that will allow you to shoot at extreme ranges without compromising your health. It seems to me that a .300 Win. Mag. would be sufficient with the right bullet, powder and barrel length.

Good luck.

Posts: 52 | Location: The Great Southwest | Registered: 07 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We discussed that particular Encore at length on this forum. THe company that fluted that barrel screwed up. Period. They had deeps flutes cut very near the chamber and were negligent for ever doing that.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Chamber diameters are quite substantial on the 378 based magnums... Might want to keep that in mind for one point... The other is the kick that the thing will produce. Even in a roughly 10 pound rifle it will put out about 54 - 56 lbs of recoil at a very quick rate of 25 + fps...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
With a brake, the 30-378 doesn't kick that much. I put one together on a M-17 Enfield a few years back. I reused the 30-06 sporter barrel that was on it(24"). Threaded 1/2x20 and put on a muzzle brake from Brownells. The finished rifle with scope weighed about 8.5lbs. I never did get around to changeing the solid butt plate as the recoil was really tame. It was similar to a light weight 7x57. With factory 180X and equivalent handloads. It seems like the velocities were only 100-150fps lower than advertised. I'll have to see if it's in my notes someplace. I still have the reamer, but the question about the chamber wall thickness is a valid one.
What is the barrel diameter at the breach and 2.7" up from there?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I called and posed my question on this post to T/C custom shop. They said pressure was too great to do that without risk.

I'll investigate an alternative set up that will get me close to the 30-378 trajectory (& energy)wise.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

If a day goes by and you haven't learned something , then you have missed living that day.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Lar,

I don't know if that's a fair comparison. You can shoot just anything through a M1917 that you can get through the feed rails because the diameter of the breech end of the barrel is large in diameter - not so with a T/C. That's why our resident big bore cranks love to use Enfields for their .505 Gibbs, and .600 OK cartridges.

BHW,

What kind of long range are you talking about? There are several other cartridges that may be able to handle your needs without stepping up to something as big as a 30/378.

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
I am looking for a solid performer out to 500 yards and would anticipate zeroeing it at 300 yards. I have a 338 Win Mag and need to do some additional checking. Currently I am shooting Federal Premium 225 TSX in it and like them, but it appears I can get the 185 TSX or 160 X bullets loaded by Conley Precision. I need to run the software and see what the terminal performance is before I do anything else.

I don't see any other calibers that give me that much advantage over my 338 Win Mag that would warrant acquiring them, except the 30 378.