Find
Notify
Tools

BPS Stock replacement
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
A while back I shipped my BPS back to Browning for them look at the stock (wood), which was starting to crack on the bottom at the rear of the trigger guard and slide release button. I received a letter today informing me that they wanted to replace the butt stock at a cost of $156. Is this reasonable?

I've seen new stocks for about $120 or so, and composite stocks for $90 (which would require a new forearm too). Boyd's has one for $38, how is their walnut? Anybody have experience with their shotgun wood? If I were to purchase a replacement myself, what kind of challenge is it to install it? I've never removed the receiver from the stock, so I don't know what's involved.

Anybody got any tips, advice, pointers, etc.? Are there other options, like a place on the 'net to pick up a used stock set? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure doesn't seem reasonable to me. How old is the gun? Did it crack because it was poor fit to begin with? If so I'd ask they replace it free of charge.

My BPS was my first gun and if I could only own one gun, the BPS aqnd an assortment of different barrels would keep me hunting everything in NA. BUt I don't know that I'd invest too much in restocking it. Go with the Boyds or the composite. Look on ebay, in Gun List. Try Great American Gunstock. You can ahve the dimensions altered to fit you better than a factory stock.

M2centsW

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to wait and keep an eye on EBAY as I have seen stocks sets come up routinely for fairly reasonable prices. If this is just a hunting gun, have it doll pinned and glued or just glued by a gunsmith. stocks can do crack especially if they are exposed to moisure, the wet dry process causes expansion and contraction which causes movement with yhe grains especially when there is wear or scrapes and nicks in the finish.

[ 07-15-2003, 18:03: Message edited by: raamw ]

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies guys. This shotgun is only about 8 years old, and the stock seems to fit right to me, so I don't think I can blame it on them. I attribute it to the wet/dry cycle, which is probably more aggressive here in the desert after hunting ducks and geese up north. That's why I was considering the synthetic option. I can get a Bell and Carlson stock and forearm from Cabelas for $170, which is just $14 more than Browning wants to fit another shiny wood stock. Synthetic and shiny blued metal might look a little strange, but half the bluing is worn off the receiver from toting it around after quail anyway. Besides, a nice nat gear camo would let me hide from the doves and coyotes easier!

Now to figure out how to replace the butt stock.

Additional comments welcome.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Surely someone out there has replaced the stock on a BPS. Anybody care to offer up any suggestions, recommendations, hints, or just general pumpgun knowledge? I sure could use it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you take off the recoil pad and then there's a drawbolt. Take that out and the butt should come right off.

Posts: 1689 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are not concerned about appearances and the crack is not real big, you would be wasting your money by replacing the stock. I would remove the stock as outlined above and repair the crack with either super glue or acraglass. Super glue is alot cheaper and usually works fine. Also, if appearance doesn't matter, I would NOT clamp the crack after filling it because it would then be more likely to crack again. Usually it takes a few applications of super glue, because it shrinks as it dries. After the glue has cured, sand it level with fine (backed) sandpaper, polish it a bit with steel wool, and touch-up the finish with tru-oil. Since it is a coyote gun, I would skip touching up the finish and just spray paint the whole thing camo. When the paint eventually gets worn or shiny, re-paint it during the summer "off season" (to keep the new paint smell down) The whole fix should cost no more than $10 - $15 if you do it yourself. Use the money you save on gas, shells and custom predator calls. Another tip is to put some kind of lubricant on the phillips screwdriver tip when you attempt to remove the recoil pad. This should make it look a bit neater and prevent tearing it. Let us know how it works out - John

Posts: 103 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 27 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen - thank you. Looks like I'll be requesting the gun back from Browning for self repair. I may have to try that glue trick to get me through dove season, then work on the replacement later in the winter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to Barnes and Nobel bookstore and buy an issue of GUNLIST. There are plenty of sources for stocks there.
It sure would not hurt to post want ads in all of the Forums either that might be an easy way to find a bargain

[ 07-20-2003, 04:01: Message edited by: Hairtrigger ]

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote