Find
Notify
Tools

How about round to octagon barrels?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I always see barrels that transition from octagon at the breech end to round at the muzzle end, but have never seen the opposite variation. Other than tradition, is there a reason why not, or if someone has one, can you show a photo? In sketching up some ideas, it seems like one could make a very sleek looking barrel this way.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
it's been done, somebody here did it on a rifle. not sure how to pull it up maybe somebody remembers who rifle it is?

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I seem to remember doing one for Butchloc.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Octagon-to-round "flows" because an octagon can be turned down to round without changing the taper. The reverse is not true.

Round-to-octagon may look good on paper and may initially seem attractive because it would be somewhat unusual. However, give it a couple of years and you'll come to realize it looks like crap.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There sre some pics in the George Madis Winchester book of some that were done by the factory.
Several years ago, I was going to rebarrel a Marlin 1895 in that configuration. I contacted KOGOT (kind old gunsmith of Trinidad), and he said that while he had never done one, he would be happy to. Never did send it off to be done, as someone wanted it a lot more than I did and it now has a new owner.

Posts: 1664 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JimmyD223 posted pictures of one he had done a few years back, don't recall who did the work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Round to octagon is traditional at the breech on single shot rifles. The transition is done with what is known as a "tulip", a point where the round horizontal mill cutter sweeps up from the octagon to the round. Here's a picture of a featherweight I did with a montana short action and a tapered octagon barrel, along with the original barrel contour:

You could also transition from round to octagon on the tapered reinforce area, but it is harder to do gracefully on the straight taper section without using a tulip.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
JimmyD223 posted pictures of one he had done a few years back, don't recall who did the work.

I believe it was Mark Stratton.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:
quote:

Who did the one on the Springfield you're working on ?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Mark Stratton did the work. He also warned that it might very well have harmonics troubles too. Not that it would but it was possible.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is one I did the other way around, round to Octagon.
Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong but I think we're talking about round to the end of the fore arm, octagon thereafter. Not just a short section of shank.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
I could be wrong but I think we're talking about round to the end of the fore arm, octagon thereafter. Not just a short section of shank.

You are correct there,but this one does not have the "wedding band", it is a smooth transition from Oct to Round and two different tapers.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Jim. I think I remember that rifle, on a Pre 64? If only I needed a sixth .270......

Would someone please remind me the effect that fluting has on barrel harmonics. Same holds for octagonal barrels?

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1439 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never liked the "wedding band" look of turning down an octagon barrel. The look that Mr.Kobe posted above is the best in my opinion. Especially since you cannot turn down an octagon barrel with an integral rib.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 30 October 2011 18:38 Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idared:

quote:

Who did the one on the Springfield you're working on ?

It was done awhile ago by a North Idaho gunsmith who has since passed on to the big gunshop in the sky.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote