Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sanding on composit stocks
 Login/Join

posted
I have a H&S precision stock that has the palm swells on both sides, it makes it hard to get a good grip on the stock, was wondering if anyone had sanded on a stock like this, will i sand through the hard outside and ruin the stock, also how do you go about removeing the recoil pad, i dont see any place on the pad where they used screws to attach it, thanks for the info.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
You can not sand the palm swell off since you will go through the shell and into the filler material beneath the top layer thereby basically destroying the integrity of the stock. Also I believe the recoil pad is applied with a very strong adhesive and would probably be very difficult if not impossible to remove wihtout damage to the stock.
Sorry for the bad news.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Bubba

Who'd a thought as long as AR has been around we are just now getting a bubba. Go figure. Welcome to AR.

As far as the recoil pad goes just cut it off and glue on one that you like. (five minute epoxy or Acra-Gel) For the palm swell it all depends on what you are willing to loose I guess. If it were me and the stock was not in good enough shape to bring top dollar to go towards a new one I liked better, I would grind off the palm swell and re-glass it. To tell you the truth I might just use Acra-Gel and no glass at all. Now if the thing is chambered in 375 Ultra Mag my opinion my change. I would also do it knowing that it could fail. Although I do believe that if done properly it should hold up very well.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi Bluetick
Thanks for the warm welcome, glad you like my nick name, its a new stock, wish i could have put my hands on it first, i may do like you said and sell it and order something else, its the Tactical stock, short action, varment barrel, black, as for the recoil pad its as hard as a rock, solid pad doesnt give at all, i was useing it in the prone position shooting yotes with a 308, because i cant get ahold of it very good it thumps you good,,thanks again gentlemen for your thoughts on this matter, bubba.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote