THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6-48 Tap To Chase Threads In Savage Receiver?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Burris Bases and Signature Zee Rings came today from Midway. I soft assembled one set on my 12-F/TR, and they went together without a hitch. Then on my 10-FP the screws wouldn't start. I was afraid of this, but forgot to order a tap from Midway to chase the threads. It looks like some over spray from the finish coat Savage uses on the 10-FP got into the screw holes for the bases. Savage doesn't use plug screws. I've heard of others having this trouble. I called Savage to ask what the thread size was, and the woman on the other end rattled off 6-48. Has anyone else ran into this? I just want to be sure before I order a tap. It doesn't say the size anywhere on the literature that came with the bases and rings. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they should be 6-48. Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
The diameter of the base screw should mic out at about .136 and there should be 12 threads to a quarter inch.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is what they check to. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote