Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning moly from a barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
Is it difficult to remove moly from a barrel?
What do you use to clean it?
I have heard that moly will rust chrome moly barrels, is there any substance to this claim?

Lou

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou

The only thing that I have tried on moly is JB bore compound. It seemed to cut it ok.
I believe there are some products especially for its removal just not sure what they are.

As far as it rusting barrels I believe that it is kinda blown out of proportion. The way I have seen it explained on here and other boards is moly it self does not cause rust or corrosion. But it will help trap and hold moisture. I believe this could easily be combated with some good gun oil during extended storage.

I will say that the only times I have tried to totally remove the moly from my one moly coated barrel it took at least five shots to get back to any resemblance of a group maybe even ten shots.

This is were the problem with rust and moly comes in to play. If you clean moly you have accuracy problems. If you don�t you leave microscopic holes for moisture to sit.

I choose not to clean.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to use moly in my new .223 Rem barrel, but I have a few loaded (by a friend) rounds with moly, that I'd like to try out. They have been very accurate in my other .223's, and I'd like to gauge whether this load might be a good place to start. Should I stay away totally from these moly coated loads, or can I fire one or two groups without running into major problems with removing the moly from my barrel??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Is it difficult to remove moly from a barrel?
What do you use to clean it?
I have heard that moly will rust chrome moly barrels, is there any substance to this claim?

Lou

Yes!

I don't use it anymore! (see answers #1 and #3)

It shore did a job on my Mauser over the winter a few years back!

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I suggest first using JB to scrub the moly down, and then using Flitz on a tight patch.

Flitz works well to remove moly from Fail Safe bullets in a tumbler with normal corn cob media.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load moly for practicaly all my rifles and never had any rust, if they are cleaned after firing. I recently have found that Blue Wonder Gun cleaner removes moly, powder residue and copper without any smell. i don't know what it's made of but it sure works as advertised.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote