Ok, short and sweet, here we go

Gun #1, Just saw it yesterday

Mark 5, 257 Wby. Mag. (used)
26" carbon barrel with brake
Black Synthetic stock,
1/2 as much as new Accumark below, including 1pc base and Leupold rings

Gun #2 Been sitting around a while, but new
Accumark, 257 Wby. Mag
26" stainless-fluted barrel, I think Weatherby buys Krieger?
A little nicer synthetic stock, I think Weathreby buys Bell/Carlson?
Price? Well it IS new. Enough said.

Which is better?

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
#2 is the winner... MD

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JoeM

The only way I would consider buying no. 1 would be if the seller would agree to you looking at the bore with a bore scope. If you don't have access to a bore scope you would have to buy the gun cheap enough to rebarrel if that became necessary. Buying a used 257 Weatherby would be like buying a used race car. Buyer beware.

As you can see you would probably be money ahead to buy no 2 even if it cost more initially you would come out cheaper than rebarreling.

Good Shooting
Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
WBY buys thier bbls in standard calibers from Criterion, a commercial division of Krieger, they are button rifled insted of cut rifled like std krieger bbls.

The fiberglass stocks are made by Bell and Carlson and of excellent quality.

Magnum Calibers are made with WBY's own bbls.

I would get the 257 accumark, I have been very pleased with the three WBY's I own to date. A 270wby Sporter, 340 Accumark and 7 rem Outfitter Custom.

The 7mm averages 1.2" groups @ 200 yards with Hornady 175 sprire points, and 270 is pretty much sub moa with everything and the 340 does anywhere from .5 -.75 moa with most loads, mt favorite is 85.0 grain RL22 behind a 250 partition.

Customer service is excellent at WBY, they put a brand new stock on my 6 year old 270 for free, they make a quality product and cut few corners.

I have a lot of pride in ownership in my WBY's, currently I have one of thier Dangerous Game Rifles on order from thier custom shop.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 05-29-2001).]