New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 Model 70 classic
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a model 70 Winchester classic in .375 H&H second hand. The rifle was manufactured in 2012, but appears in new condition. In examining the rifle it appears the barrel has been screwed into the receiver slightly past vertical as indicated by the front and rear sights and barrel band stud. I mounted a scope on the rifle and tried to sight it in, but it fired only one of four rounds. The primer had been struck in the centre of the firing pin, but perhaps not strongly enough. My friend fired the same shells in his pre 64 model 70 and they fired without issue. The rifle does not seem to be tampered with in any manner. What is happening and would this be a warranty issue? Thank you for your consideration.

Jim

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Factory ammo or re loads? But it seems that the quality slipped a bit on the barrel indexing, if not the chamber.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Factory.

Posts: 383 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Check the headspace. Check firing pin protrusion. Check main spring tension. If the headspace is too deep then you can form brass to fit the chamber.
The barrel index is another thing; might be able to center it up.
Aren't you up there in Canada with Speerchucker? He will know what to do.

One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Aren't you up there in Canada with Speerchucker? He will know what to do.

coffee GOOD GRIEF Tom ! He's probably 2000 kilometers away from me. You gotta get out more son ! Canada is a slightly larger than Rhode Island dontchaknows. LMAO ROFF

dancing

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Let's see, 2000 kilomerrser? Canada can't be that big. That would be about 200 miles the way I figure it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Let's see, 2000 kilomerrser? Canada can't be that big. That would be about 200 miles the way I figure it.

coffee S I G H ! Yeah, bout-dat.

Mercans drive me nutz. I bet yall drove to the county line once, way out yonder, there-bouts. Got there and got a bad case of the heeby-jeebys, turned back for home and never did nothin that stupid ever again! Betcha.

LMAO ROFF

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, where I am, there are people who refuse to cross the Mississippi river, to they live their whole lives on the same side. Those bridges are big and scary and who knows what evil lurks on the other side.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We got those people back where I grew up too Tom.

A few years back, my home County, Newall, or The Eastern Irrigation District as it's commonly called, decided they needed a reason to spend some of the millions of dollars of revenue they get from all of the oil companies that bore holes and make right-of-ways on all of the county land. They elected to bring rural water service to all of the farmers and small communities in the E.I.D. The deal was that they would lay the pipe for free and then start a metered, pay for use service the same as it is in town. I pittance of a monthly bill. Down the road, property values with water already in place would rise exponentially with the cost of installing a new service. The pipeline and labor to put it in cost the county $10,000 to $20,000 per household but it was a tax right off for the county which was strapped for a way to spend the money. There was however a catch. To get the free deal the land owners had to sign up to have the work done in that same year to get it free. After the one shot deal any new service had to be paid for out of pocket by the land owner. When everything was said and done about 10% to 15% of the people opted out of the $15,000 free deal. The excuses were ridiculous.

I don't want no one driving on and tearing up my land.
I'm against pipelines.
The line could break and flood all my crops and drown all my critters.
It's all a government scam.
Someone will get hurt putting in the pipe and sue me.
Mark my words 10 years from now they will be knocking on your door with the bill.
The pipeline crew will stress my cattle.
The pipeline crew will scare the wildlife.
The wildlife and my cattle will be scared to cross the pipeline.
I'll have to get permits to dig in the future because there will be a pipeline on my land.
I don't allow trespassers on my land.
I'm against government handouts.
It will cause to much crop damage.
The line will burst and cause an ecological disaster.
The line will burst and I'll be forced to fix it at my own expense.

And the best one that I heard on that subject:

The town water is all fluoridated and everyone who drinks it will be at risk for cancer.
(the water they have been hauling from town and drinking for the last 60 odd years is exactly the same fluoridated water that would be coming down the pipe)

It doesn't matter where you go. You're surrounded by stupid people and they are breeding up.

Rod Henrickson

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhaney:
I bought a model 70 Winchester classic in .375 H&H second hand. The rifle was manufactured in 2012, but appears in new condition. In examining the rifle it appears the barrel has been screwed into the receiver slightly past vertical as indicated by the front and rear sights and barrel band stud. I mounted a scope on the rifle and tried to sight it in, but it fired only one of four rounds. The primer had been struck in the centre of the firing pin, but perhaps not strongly enough. My friend fired the same shells in his pre 64 model 70 and they fired without issue. The rifle does not seem to be tampered with in any manner. What is happening and would this be a warranty issue? Thank you for your consideration.

Jim

OP seems to have got derailed by the comedians. Yes obviously you have a problem and in my opinion it should be covered by warranty. If it were mine I would call Winchester and describe the problem politely.
They will direct you to the nearest warranty subcontractor or have you ship it to them for repair.
I've found Winchester extremely helpful.
636-287-6800 is the last phone number I have for a fellow at Winchester / Browning and he was a pleasure to deal with.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:
Originally posted by jhaney:

Jim

OP seems to have got derailed by the comedians. Yes obviously you have a problem and in my opinion it should be covered by warranty. If it were mine I would call Winchester and describe the problem politely.
They will direct you to the nearest warranty subcontractor or have you ship it to them for repair.
I've found Winchester extremely helpful.
636-287-6800 is the last phone number I have for a fellow at Winchester / Browning and he was a pleasure to deal with.

Back on track Snellstrom tu2

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote